Carib Dancer review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O Gal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have never written a trip review, but after all the negative publicity this boat has gotten lately I thought I ought to, so here goes:

This is the second time I have been on this boat. The first was the first year they started and the price was discounted, and this time we dove using the Dancer fleet's "Dive the world" discount. My hubby and I are budget divers, and the price for both trips was very attractive--they were only about $500 each higher than a Blackbeard trip and the boat was much nicer.

The boat: it is 100 feet long with six cabins. Each cabin has its own sink, shower and toilet. Five cabins have a double bed with a single bunk above it. The cabin in the bow has four single beds. The rooms are small, but there was adequate storage for everything, so they were comfortable. The temperature was good--the AC wasn't too cold.
The dive deck was nicely laid out. Each "station" had a big storage bin beneath the seat to hold your gear. The tanks were filled quickly between dives, and the nitrox ran a healthy 34% consistently the entire week. This is the first time I have had to worry about my O2 load almost as much as my nitrogen! There are two showers on the back platform with hot water and most of us showered there...I only used the shower in the room one time. There is a hot tub on the sun deck and it was great for warming up quickly after a dive.

The food: The food was good and plentiful. It started as a continental breakfast for the early risers, and was followed by a full cook to order breakfast. Then there was a snack between the first and second dive, followed by a hot lunch starting with soup every lunch, another snack between the third and fourth dive, a big dinner, then hot chocolate served on the dive deck after the night dive. There was also a big jar of cookies available all day along with fruit. If you were hungry it was your own fault! A special nice touch was I am a vegetarian, and instead of merely filling up on the salads and vegetables (which I told the chef Casey would have been fine) he had a special dish prepared just for me!

The diving: It was typical Bahamas diving-reefs, walls-many with my personal favorite, swim-throughs, a few wrecks, coral gardens. Throughout the week we saw turtles, rays, octopus, and sharks-lots of sharks. Lots of different types of tropical fish, and unfortunately, too many lionfish. They are beautiful to look at, but I HATE them. Some of the reefs had quite a bit of algae on them, and then the boat would move only a mile or two to the next dive site, and there wouldn't be any. No apparent rhyme or reason to the algae...
We dove five dives a day except the last, where we did two. A nice touch is when you come back onto the dive deck after rinsing off, a crew member would drape a hot towel on you! Nice touch...which leads me to:

The crew: The boat holds only 14 divers, and there were 5 hard-working crew members. They were superb-not just attentive to your needs but fun and friendly. I got to know them all well, and they felt more like friends than employees. I can't say enough about how they went the extra mile to make our trip enjoyable! So thanks to Capt Dennis, Mate Ernie, chef Casey and videographer David (who made us all look like movie stars), and Zac, whose youth and exuberant energy was uplifting--I wish I could have bottled it and used it for the trip home!

So in conclusion--especially if you are a diver on a budget, and want incredible value for your dive dollars-book a trip on this boat with confidence! I know one cruise in particular had myriad problems, but I think the Dancer fleet has worked them out. We have had two great trips on the Carib Dancer and I wouldn't hesitate a second to book a third in the future!

Thanks for the review. My buddy and I are going on board in November. Anything else that we should know or do?

Take less clothes and more swimsuits than you think you need. Take lots of pictures--they will put together a slide show to show Thursday night and then give everyone copies of it. If David is in the water and near you do something visual or goofy and you will end up on his video. It's $65 but a great souvenir, especially if you appear in it several times. When looking at small stuff on the reef keep your peripheral vision open--I missed a lot of big stuff swimming by as I was looking at arrow crabs. Do all the dives if you can, but don't feel guilty if you don't--it's not a marathon and you won't win a prize if you do them all. Talk to all the other people on the boat and you'll have a boatload of new friends. If you dive the Austin Smith watch out for Stumpy-he is a shark who is missing his dorsal fin. If you dive the Blue Hole watch out for the little black and white striped remoras--they will try to attach to you, and believe me, when they do, it hurts! Also leaves quite an impressive bruise...
When you come back into port and cruise by the Aquacat moon them...and when you stop to get gas walk over to the Green Parrot bar and take a glass of water to "Nipples", a small white Potcake (Bahamian stray dog) that hangs around the bar.
Stay well hydrated and have a good time!

Last edited:
Take less clothes and more swimsuits than you think you need.

Do all the dives if you can, but don't feel guilty if you don't--it's not a marathon and you won't win a prize if you do them all.

Talk to all the other people on the boat and you'll have a boatload of new friends.

Thanks for the report (I'm the aforementioned buddy) as we also chose the trip based on a good deal, as well as free, direct flights.

A.) tajkd and I have done many liveaboards, and have perfected the art of packing nothing! I think we've literally gotten it down to "the clothes we are wearing, and the clothes that are hanging up to dry." (One bathing suit if that, as we dive dry... yes, even in the Caribbean.)

B.) We never miss a dive.

C.) One of us talks to everyone... the other one naps. :D

guys im glad you had a wonderful time!!!!!!

Thanks for the report (I'm the aforementioned buddy) as we also chose the trip based on a good deal, as well as free, direct flights.

A.) tajkd and I have done many liveaboards, and have perfected the art of packing nothing! I think we've literally gotten it down to "the clothes we are wearing, and the clothes that are hanging up to dry." (One bathing suit if that, as we dive dry... yes, even in the Caribbean.)

A dry suit in the Caribbean? The water was 85+ degrees every day. You'd cook in that thing! You could wear several Speedos at the same time under your travel clothes and have several suits that way!

I also did everyone, and while I'm glad that I did them all, my almost 60 knees are talking to me...

Yeah, but which one is which?:D

A dry suit in the Caribbean? The water was 85+ degrees every day. You'd cook in that thing! You could wear several Speedos at the same time under your travel clothes and have several suits that way!

They have dived from my boat. In Puerto Rico in 85 degree water. They wear drysuits. With undergarments.

One guy on my recent Nai'a trip in Fiji dived dry. I wasn't very impressed about being in the water in a dry suit, but I was very impressed at him sitting around in his undies before the dive. Even though it was actually cool here and there, there were plenty of toasty days, and I would have been a dried up dead diver, if I were wearing all that.

I'm the one that naps...

Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom