Vacation destination? Fiji/New Zealand, Honduras, or Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NZ was expensive from a cost of living viewpoint as in stuff like fuel so I would hate to have to rent a car or pay for hotels. I dropped $400 in one day on a 5 hour horse ride along the beaches and through the forest and a mad crazy drive up to the bay of islands and bay of plenty area (that was for two people) - given the time of year you have in mind tho you could dive poor knights on the North Island then go and check out all those awesome crazy sports like Heli Skiing and Zorbing and bungee jumping around the south island. You will need a 7mm minimum..i froze in NZ in January (that may have been as I was on my way home after a month in F. Polynesia) have not dived Fiji but have heard good things about Rainbow Reef etc, there are some lovely soft coral sights to be found in Fiji and you will be relatively warm there.

I would personally remove Honduras from the list.
i think the choice is really between Costa Rica and Fiji.

So I figured I would post an update on this forum since I kind of abandoned it a year ago. I have since been to Fiji and holy crap that place was awesome! I believe I may have spoiled myself on diving for a very long time. The Rainbow reef is amazing and the shark dive was unbelievable! I am now in the works of planning a trip to either NZ/Australia or Honduras/Costa Rica for May-June, 15-20 days. Any advise or itineraries?

Fiji is great. It will be a new and different destination. June was fine when I last went there and I stayed on Kadavu. Place was not crowded. Get away from major cities and to outer islands. People are very friendly and they have a unique culture. Diving is amazing and you will see a whole new and far more varied cast of characters. Sharks and soft corals ep. I liked Kadavu, Taveuni and Namena. Three weeks will let you see several places too. You can find some good deals on the Internet for rentals too. English is widely spoken. My 2 cents.....not cheap though...

---------- Post added September 19th, 2013 at 08:26 PM ----------

I did a Bali and Komodo trip and it was probably better that my Fijian trips ( still love the place). Again, it's awesome and very very different..Balinese culture .Ubud and the Liberty on Bali...(best nite dive for me yet). and the whole thing in Komodo and the dragons too. Komodo diving is really something special and I found the people to be charming. I also extended my layover in Singapore which I liked a lot too. Fwiw. You are still looking at "winter" in NZ in June. Gave Bali and Komodo more than a week each and wished I'd given Komodo more.

Based on the original post & your comments about how much you liked Belize you will probably like Roatan & the Bay islands very much as well. Late May & early June are a great time to come to Roatan, the weather is usually perfect & the cruise ship season ends mid-April so the island is not busy. The island is beautiful & once you get away from the touristy western end much of it is untouched. There is a mixture of cultures that is quite fascinating and areas like Port Royal, Henry Morgan's old stronghold, are full of great history as well as terrific diving on pristine reefs. Roatan has a huge variety of things to do on shore when you want a break from diving, the biggest challenge our guests face is trying to balance diving with sailing, exploring, relaxing, and taking part in the many activities available. We have been diving in many places & there are few places that we have seen that have such a great combination of shoreside activities and excellent diving. Many people come here for a week & leave with no idea that 2/3 of the island is still undeveloped jungle and once you leave the tourist zone in the West End of the island you can spend days exploring the East End of the island, where much of the area does not even have roads & is only accessible by boat. The locals commute from village to village through channels cut through the mangroves, it is a complete contrast to the modern resorts of the West End of the island.

As far as diving Roatan is concerned, like many places you have to know where to go. The diving on the south shore & east end of Roatan is much better than in the West End/West Bay area in our opinion, and we do liveaboard charters in all of the Bay Islands including Roatan, Cayos Cochinos, etc. There is not much in the way of large pelagic marine life, this is not where you come to see that. However the coral reefs are beautiful & the fish life is incredible at the right dive sites, at times totally surrounding us. The whale sharks are here in May through July & are often sighted daily off both the south & north shores & Utila has even more of them than Roatan.

The reefs are very healthy and the coral off the south shore of Roatan is outstanding, dramatic walls full of color that plunge from 30 feet to over 140, with overhangs, swim throughs, canyons and chimneys. Roatan's reputation is built on the vibrancy of its coral reefs & they are the main reason divers come here, but again you need to get off the beaten track away from where most divers go. It's also important to go to dive sites at the right time of day, in general you want mornings on the south side & afternoons on the north, no light equals no color. If you would like to see some examples take a look at the photos on our Facebook page, we are far from professional photographers but they will give you an idea of what we dive in daily.

With regard to cost there are few places in Central America or the Caribbean where the diving is as affordable as the Bay Islands. From what I have seen, Roatan & Utila have the lowest cost per boat dive anywhere in the Caribbean, and possibly all of North & Central America. You should be able to find great deals on accommodation & diving packages. A good place to look for deals & info about Roatan & Utila dive shops, hotels etc. is actually on Facebook, many of the resorts & dive operators, especially the smaller ones, primarily use Facebook to communicate and do not keep their websites very current. The Facebook pages however are often current right up to that day.

If you take a look at our website Zeppelin Dive & Sail | Roatan Live Aboard Sailing & Diving Charters it will give you a good starting place for information about Roatan & all the island has to offer. Even if you have no interest in our services please feel free to contact us with any questions about Roatan & the Bay Islands at zeppelinsail@gmail.com. We are more than happy to help anyone with questions about the area and are familiar with just about all of the dive operators & resorts, of which there are many. You can find everything from hostels to all-inclusive resorts, luxury boutique inns to condos, it all just depends on where you want to stay & how much you want to spend. Good luck with your decision & if we can help with any questions about Roatan & the Bay Islands just let us know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom