is there anything missing from the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as suggested in the previous mentioned article in Diver, a diver should be fit enough to run a mile in less than 10 minutes (6.25 min/km).

Ridiculous......

To make a blanket statement that a diver should be able to run a mile in under 10 minutes ignores the huge number of divers who can't yet enjoy a happy, fulfilling hobby with a good safety record.

x a bunch... I think a swimming limitation would be more apt, but to limit diving to those who can run is asininely hilarious.

What about a decent underwater emergency signaling device.

Simply, one touch, close range, wireless, personal, but also transmitting generally, "your buddy having a problem", signal.

Are hand signals or even whistlers enough for you?

Thats a cool idea and wouldn't be all that tough to do with the technology we have from the full face mask coms.

Thats a cool idea and wouldn't be all that tough to do with the technology we have from the full face mask coms.

Its so easy to made it, and so difficult to produce it...

too many patents waiting.... :screwy:

Last edited:
A tank valve that you can actually reach while it's hanging off your back.

A tank valve that you can actually reach while it's hanging off your back.

They all come with that. It's just a matter of tank positioning, flexibility, and knowing how to reach it. There is also the extended knob device that OMS has/had. Affectionately referred to a slob winder.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

flexibility, and knowing how to reach it.

Ah flexibility. That went along with the knees to run a mile in under 10 minutes. But I can swim for over an hour. Cannot do anything about the bad rotator cuffs. I can reach the tank valve but it is not painfree and it is not quick. Its why I sling my pony.

Ridiculous. I wonder where people dream up some of this stuff. Anytime you split a large group into 2 cohorts with a significant fitness differential, the fitter group will probably have a lower rate of death or serious injury while doing a given activity - yes, scuba diving, but I imagine also walking, driving, riding the bus...

It could well be that people who can run a mile in under 6 minutes are at lower risk than people who need nearly 10 minutes.

To make a blanket statement that a diver should be able to run a mile in under 10 minutes ignores the huge number of divers who can't yet enjoy a happy, fulfilling hobby with a good safety record.

And sooner or later, no matter what or how little you eat, how many miles you can run and how fast you can run them...you're going to die anyway. I hope to die having lived.

Richard.

Actaully, there is already (at least) one agency that "requires" the diver to be able to complete moderate exercise. The agency defines moderate exercise as walking a mile in 12 minutes. I'd call that pace a slow jog or a brisk walk.

I put requires in quotation marks because it is a question on the medical release form. So it isn't something that is tested in the class, but more of self policing for the diver. Since it is on the medical release form, the diver has to confirm it before each time the medical form is completed (before each class).

Unimportant, but long ago during my days of hiking the East coast I found that a normal (no dillying or stopping, smooth hard surface) mile walk takes exactly 15 minutes.

RESPECT!

Youth, edge, and quality - -Specifically more youth, more spunk, more consistent quality

I think what is missing in the dive industry is requirement to dive responsibly. I have met a lot of divers, even those with a large number of dives under their belt, dive completely irresponsibly. A dive plan is a dive plan is a dive plan. If dive master tells us that after repetitive diving that takes us to deep waters of 80 ft on each dive and 80 is the max depth... then make it so darn it. It is unbelievable. On my recent trip to Roatan... dive master tells us dive depth will be 60-70ft max. So I hover at 65 while taking videos. Meanwhile beneath me I see divers at 80,90... 150... and dive master is looking at me like "ohh well... it's their choice..." No... they are on YOUR boat and YOU are the dive master and it is your job to herd the cats.

We dove 17 dives and half the group systematically did not follow the dive briefing. It was amazing to watch. I am holding my camera... doing my thing and out of the corner of my eye I see a lone soul go down and down and down and down and then with visibility being so good you see them 80 feet below you have "the moment" when they finally turn around... then frantically look at their computer and begin to swim up like a great white is chasing them. And to top that off... they come back on boat with 200 psi in their tank.

So yes... what diving industry is missing are responsible divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom