Weird feeling about scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greentree5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

When I was younger (around 10ish), when I used to think about scuba diving, something about it made me feel really odd. I know it sounds strange but it almost used to make me cringe? I never even considered trying scuba diving until this year, and I did. I loved it. I'm just wondering if anyone else used to feel like this before they tried? It's a really hard feeling to explain!

Thanks, Harry.

The sensation of breathing underwater is apparently very intimidating for most people, but it never bothered me. I swam off to 4m depth within minutes on my "try dive".
But I do remember that although I had wanted to dive since I can remember (20 yrs older bother was a diver when I was still in diapers), the whole first summer (20-25 dives) I had butterfies in my stomach for hours before every dive.

I found the actual dive really fun, it's just when I was younger I found diving a weird subject to talk about. I honestly have no idea why though! It's very hard to explain.

You're not alone! I always said NEVER. Then I needed to repair a drain in the bottom of my pool. A friend of mine was a diver and brought some equipment over and I got to play with it for a few minutes. I was hooked instantly, but I never dreamed I would take up scuba willingly when I was a kid.

Thank God, I thought I was the only one! I'm not superstitious but I thought that it could be a sign not to dive? It makes me look strange I know but hey, just the thought of diving gave me the creeps. Even when I was on holiday in Portugal and saw diving masks for sale in the shops it just made me feel uncomfortable...

You mean the feeling of your whole body and brain telling you: You're in the water, you're under water, you can't breathe! Don't even try! You're gonna drown!

That? :tongue:

No, not that. I hadn't dived at the time, it just used to make me feel uncomfortable thinking about it.

The sensation of breathing underwater is apparently very intimidating for most people, but it never bothered me. I swam off to 4m depth within minutes on my "try dive".
But I do remember that although I had wanted to dive since I can remember (20 yrs older bother was a diver when I was still in diapers), the whole first summer (20-25 dives) I had butterfies in my stomach for hours before every dive.

From the age of 6 years old when I watched my 1st SeaHunt episode I knew I'd be diving someday! Never had any bad feelings about it but, after 43 years and a couple of thousand dives I STILL get butterflies in my stomach before a dive! Ain't that great!?

So I can't relate to the OP but I'll say this, relax, enjoy it's a wonderful feeling!

I'm the complete opposite. Ive dreamt about it my whole life and going under felt like second nature. Finally at the age of 38 I got certified. I have no idea, besides cost, why it took me so long.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom