Dive Buddy Checklist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, after reading a lot of stuff about diving accidents and other stuff, I've come up with a dive buddy checklist. Comments would be greatly appreciated:

1.Tank strapped on tight? Wet strap to pre-stretch before tightening

2.Air on? Check each other’s air pressure after a few breaths

3.Check location of octopus/AAS; does it work?

4.Stay side by side, arm’s length, so we can signal each other in emergency

5.Either person can end the dive for any reason; better safe than sorry

6.Navigation: where to, how deep, how to return?

7.We will start and end the dive together; no exceptions

8.Hand signals:
a.Okay, something’s wrong, up, down, stop, ascend
b.What’s your pressure?
c.Low on air, out of air
d.Pressure readings

9.Head back at 1000psi

10.What to do if:
a.Low on air (ascend calmly)
b.Out of air (share AAS and ascend calmly)
c.We lose contact (look for 1 min, then surface)

11.Check each other’s pressure before dive and regularly during dive

12.Gear/pressure check on descent; no leaks, regs work, good pressure, all gear okay

13.Safety stop at 15 feet for 3 min; additional stops for added safety

Lot of the topics in your checklist forms part of the basic Dive Plan, checkout the PADI site for example. Things like gas mixture, max depths, local rescue agency numbers can be added to your list.

Post-dive Checks (hardly ever done)

After the completion of the dive, it is the responsibility of each diver to inform his/her buddy of:
Physical problems
Equipment malfunction
Adverse conditions

thus you can make modifications to your plan.........

Mac,
I'm going to cut to the chase here and address all of your questions at one time.
Every question you have asked is in the basic PADI pre-dive checklist and pre-dive plan, you should have learned this. Enough said about that.

As a "PERSONALLY" responsible diver, you should do that before every dive.

I am an old man. I intend to get a great deal older. And in getting a great deal older I intend to do a lot more diving.

I spent two wonderful years in the sunny, sunny area of South Viet Nam flying helicopters for the United States Army. I flew one tour as a medevac pilot and a second tour as an assault pilot. Before EVERY FACKING flight I and my A/C or peter pilot would preflight the aircraft, review the mission for the day and look over the topographical map and acquaint ourselves with the gridcords that we'd be flying.

I am alive today because we did that.

I take the same attitude toward my diving.

I don't give a flippin fart if I'm diving with Dr. Jacques Cousteau, Esquire/Grand Poobah/President for Life/ His Royal Buttholeship, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera . . .

If I'm diving with a new "Buddy", by God, we will go over a dive plan and a buddy check or it just aint happening.

Oh, by the way, did I say that perhaps you should do that?

PADI's BWRAF or NAUI's ABCD cover most of your pre-dive issues. NAUI also teaches SEABAG regarding other planning matters.

Some of your items, like a loose tank, pertain strictly to a lame buddy.

You are right about discussing air sharing, since there are several ways of doing this in todays diving. That is a really good point.

Waiting until 1000 psi to turn is probably too late however. Normally that would be no later than 1/2 of your rated pressure, such as 1500 for an aluminum tank, 1700 for HP steel, or 1200 for LP steel.

I normally check my own SPG every 5 mins and my buddy's every 10 mins.

Its good that you are thinking about all this.

The loose tank thing came from a discussion of the straps on, coincidentally, the same Seaquest BCD that I have. Apparently they tend to stretch, and a number of people have had the tanks come loose. The recommendation is that you wet the strap first to stretch it before you ratchet it tight using the buckle. Sounds like a good all around procedure.

mccabejc:
9.Head back at 1000psi
Your turn pressure isn't a fixed value. It depends on your #6 in a couple ways: Can you abort and go directly to the surface or do you have to return to an exit point while submerged? (E.g., boat traffic) What is your and your buddy's RMV or SAC rate, how deep will you be, how long will it take to return to the surface (safe ascent rate and stops), what capacity is you cylinder?

For example, my "rock bottom" pressure for a dive to 65ft with a buddy having twice my RMV with my E8-119 and Poseidon regs (extra margin for safety due to upstream 2nd) is 1100psi. This assumes the ability to immediately surface at 30ft/min and includes stops for 1min@30ft and 3min@15ft and leaves about 11.7cu.ft. still on my back at the surface. If my buddy has an AL80, then his/her pressure is 1270psi.

-Rob

I'm a bit tight for time but I'll try...

mccabejc:
Okay, after reading a lot of stuff about diving accidents and other stuff, I've come up with a dive buddy checklist. Comments would be greatly appreciated:

1.Tank strapped on tight? Wet strap to pre-stretch before tightening
ok
2.Air on? Check each other’s air pressure after a few breaths

It's best if you check your own even in the water by reaching back. We call it a modified valve drill. You can't rely on just checking pressure. You must manually insure that the valve is all the way open. A valve can be most of the way closed and the pressure will read just fine on the surface and the reg will even breath ok but won't at depth.

You should be able to reach your own valve. What if you let some one check it and they shut it off instead of on? ?Be able to reach it and don't let any one touch it...or at least check it again yourself if they do.
3.Check location of octopus/AAS; does it work?

4.Stay side by side, arm’s length, so we can signal each other in emergency

Staying close enough is part of it. The other part is staying alert and knowing what to watch for and being prepared to step in in a decisive manor should things go wrong.
5.Either person can end the dive for any reason; better safe than sorry
Of course. A thunbs up ends the dive NOW.

That and more. I hate achronyms but GUE has about the best....SADDDDDDDDDDDD LOL
Sequence, air, depth distance, duration and decompression...or something like that.
7.We will start and end the dive together; no exceptions
Including during ascents and descents.
8.Hand signals:
a.Okay, something’s wrong, up, down, stop, ascend
b.What’s your pressure?
c.Low on air, out of air
d.Pressure readings

10.What to do if:
a.Low on air (ascend calmly)
b.Out of air (share AAS and ascend calmly)

11.Check each other’s pressure before dive and regularly during dive

12.Gear/pressure check on descent; no leaks, regs work, good pressure, all gear okay

13.Safety stop at 15 feet for 3 min; additional stops for added safety

Better than a safety stop why not plan on spending some time shallow after a deep dive? Why not incorporate deeper stops like DAN and NAUI now recommend. It's about time they do BTW. Even better learn something about decompression and you'll have even more ways to hedge your bet.

9.Head back at 1000psi

Why 1000 psi? Is that enough to get you and your buddy to the surface in the worst case stuation where your buddy looses all their gas right before turning the dive?

Sometimes this is appropriate and sometimes not.

In addition practice emergency management skills (MIDWATER where you dive) with the divers you dive with so you're prepared. Develop skills so the emergencies don't happen in the forst place.

Well that's the short version

For all dives after the first one, especially with a new buddy: Did your buddy follow the Dive Plan? If the answer is"No" then: Was the deviation Minor, Major, or Critical? Depending on that answer ask the following: Is the buddy willing to follow the plan next time? Do you believe the buddy?

Based on the answers the buddy may become an ex-buddy. Or, you both may learn something and have even better dives.

ArcticDiver:
For all dives after the first one, especially with a new buddy: Did your buddy follow the Dive Plan? If the answer is"No" then: Was the deviation Minor, Major, or Critical? Depending on that answer ask the following: Is the buddy willing to follow the plan next time? Do you believe the buddy?

Based on the answers the buddy may become an ex-buddy. Or, you both may learn something and have even better dives.

Good points and it reminds me of one of the many very important things I left out.

Always debriefe!

There are often minor deviations to the dive plan due to unforseeable factors. There are miscommunications and errors. There are also things done very well. Discuss it after the dive and use it to improve what needs impreoving and to remember/repeat what was done well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom