Has anybody ever done this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy and I do this mostly at night. Find a good spot and turn off your light. After your eyes adjust its amazing what you can see.

Yep- While playing "lost diver" I got to watch a real drama unfold.

A sea nettle had one slender tentacle caught by a red crab. The red crab pulled and pulled at the sea nettle and it looked as if the jellyfish would simply break off the the tentacle and swim away, but it never managed to get loose. Eventually drawing the attention of a buddy. The two crabs reeled in thier quarry over the course of forty minutes, but I was "rescued" before they had their dinner. It was a slow motion life or death drama. Just wish I had a camera with me :)

This is what got me into Scuba from Snorkelling, on my DSD I found it was easy to just stay still (near the bottom), and watch the fish swim past me. Much easier,and more successful than snorkelling!

Absolutely! Its great to watch the little microcosm come to life. This ones courting that one, this ones cleaning house, that ones starting a fight. It's amazing!

Use to take a lawn chair and rebreather in the Florida, Keys and just sit.........Amazing what you see :D !!!!!

It seems that the slower I go, the more I see.

I keep playing with the idea of going on a dive and not going anywhere -- just parking myself in an interesting-looking spot and sitting there for a half hour or so, and just watching what goes by and how life plays out. The only reasons I haven't done it is that sitting still gets cold awfully fast, and I don't think I could find a dive buddy who'd be willing to do it with me.

Has anybody else done this? Just found a likely-looking spot and hung out to see what happened, and what crawled out of the woodwork when it thought you were gone?

I've done this on some instances when im diving by my self. i get to a point where i dont really want to swim anymore or something and i just hunker down at some spot for a while. pretty much from what ive seen is that after a few minutes things start to check you out, you know some of the residents want to meet the new neighbor. So little reef fish that normally hide when you first encounter them will become more friendly and not care about your presence on the reef. Also some stuff swim past some times. it helps alot to keep breathing noises down.

weather or not you see more really depends on the site your diving. this is a great idea for a spot with large amounts of diversity, but i really dought the strategy works in small patchy reefs or desolate areas.

like you mentioned tho. stopping like that doesn't go well with most dive buddies. and know that i think back to it i might have been kinda cold doing that aswell.

It looks like more than one person got to do it during some kind of "rescue" scenario. Same thing happened to me: I was down 25ft in a quarry with 6ft vis at most waiting for rescue. I couldn't see anything (literally, bottom was maybe 50 more ft below me, I had only 'empty' water around me). But after a few min, a random fish (probably bored as well) came close to me. Started to kinda dance one or two inches in front of my mask (maybe she was looking at the reflection?), then she started to pick at my nose. Eventually rescue came, which actually bothered me, I was enjoying that little fish.

I keep playing with the idea of going on a dive and not going anywhere -- just parking myself in an interesting-looking spot and sitting there for a half hour or so, and just watching what goes by and how life plays out. The only reasons I haven't done it is that sitting still gets cold awfully fast, and I don't think I could find a dive buddy who'd be willing to do it with me.

Has anybody else done this? Just found a likely-looking spot and hung out to see what happened, and what crawled out of the woodwork when it thought you were gone?

I do this when I dive wrecks on my rebreather. Since I am down for 2-3 hours I spent a good amount of time just resting in a safe spot watching the fish. I usually see a whole lot more doing that. Plus when all the open circuit people leave for their surface interval I see even more things since it quiet down and the cool fish come back

Daru

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Well, reading all these accounts has made me even more interested in giving this a try, and the thread has even brought me a buddy interested in doing it with me!

I havent done it for an entire dive, but I have spent the better part of half an hour on a single coral outcropping looking at tiny inhabitants and random passerbys - Its bloody annoying when youve been waiting with the camera for 5 minutes for that little goby or crayfish (or both of them sharing a hole) to accept you being there and some douche come swimming in oblivious to what youre trying to accomplish and scare them off :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom