EM-5 Nauticam Travel Rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NautilusCairns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in the process of shifting to a Nauticam housing for my recently purchased EM-5 after a couple of years with a Canon S95/Recsea rig. I would appreciate any suggestions on keeping the weight down for travel. I was thinking of utilising the mounting on the housing for one strobe and just using a single handle tray for the other. I have two Inon S2000 strobes and a focus light.

Any ideas from your own experience?

I have a very similar configuration - I use the mounting on the housing for a strobe/one handle tray. Also when I travel - I remove the orings and port and then put the camera (w/o lens inside). I have a well padded back-pack that I carry my camera, housing, ports, lens, strobes, focus light, tray and arms as well as a small laptop and kindle. That way I can carry it on the plane and make sure it doesn't get damaged or lost.

I have a very similar configuration - I use the mounting on the housing for a strobe/one handle tray. Also when I travel - I remove the orings and port and then put the camera (w/o lens inside). I have a well padded back-pack that I carry my camera, housing, ports, lens, strobes, focus light, tray and arms as well as a small laptop and kindle. That way I can carry it on the plane and make sure it doesn't get damaged or lost.

Thanks Audsred. I will try that. I travelled with my previous rig in a back pack as well. Although I used to put the tray and arms in my checked bag and put my reg in the back pack. It was a pretty compact (excuse the pun) outfit.

Do you use the Nauticam one handle tray or something else?

With the recsea I had a friend make a tray for me so I could place the handles close to the housing and operate all the controls with my fingers and still hold the handles. I don't think the size of the NA Em_5 housing will allow that, plus there are more controls to play with.

I have the Nauticam flexi-tray - have both handles but I like the one handle config best as I can get to the controls much better with only the one handle. I use the mount on the housing for one strobe and the top mount on the housing to attach the focus light.

I have the flexitray with one handle on the left side and just one strobe.
For my second trip with the E-M5 I added the soft handstrap for the right hand. I found it to be a big ergonomic improvement for virtually no weight, that allows me hold the camera right-handed for most of the dive with minimal effort.

I travel with the 12-50 lens and gears already mounted on the camera in a soft optech pouch. Most airlines allow you 1 piece of hand-luggage plus a small camera and that set up is fairly small but weighs in at about 1.2Kg. There is a theoretical 7Kg limit with Virgin Aus, although they've never actually checked. If they did, my handluggage (inc dive-computer, focus light and iPad) comes just under without the assembled camera :wink:

Here is a photo of my set up in my camera bag; however, I now use a different tray / arm set up which requires it to be packed in my luggage.

My set up is the EM-5 in the Nauticam housing with the 12 - 50mm & 60mm macro lenses, twin S&S YS110A strobes, loc-line arms, flip dioptre & +3 wet lens, GoPro, focus light and two small plastic containers with spare parts in one and cleaning kit in the other.

Also attached a photo of my current set up to show the tray / arms I have - these could be broken down and packed into the bag as well but I am lazy :D - but everything gets packed into the camera bag bar the tray / arms.

Hope this helps.

Karl

EM5+-+01.jpg Camera+Setup+-+03.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jbb
Thanks all for giving me some good ideas for travelling.

I could put my Canon compact set up plus my regulator in a back pack which then weighed spot on 7kg.

Guitarfish64. Which handstrap are you using?

Get the porter 46 bag it will fit everything. My setup fits with MacBook Air and a reg set and dive computer, mask, and a pair of underwear (just incase) and micro fibre towel.

The rest goes in check luggage:

ubagytaz.jpg

hema6u9a.jpg

Very useful thread. I been wondering about this. At the moment I have a benbo camera backpack. Mac size for cabin luggage. I filed it with the canner plus housing separated in the bag, 2 strobes, the arms (including buoyant arms) the joints, the handle bars, all batteries, a gopro, some chargers (but not all), ipad, laptop, spare parts and documents. My teg u carry in a separate bag. Since that looks like a laptop bag and most airliners allow a separate laptop bag, that doesn't get commented on. The backpack is really big and won't fit in the overhead locker of a regional turbo prop. The whole bag weighs about 15kg. I don't want that as I am bound to get scrutinised.
So what do people recommend you check in and what should go as hand luggage? I guess the biggest concern is size not weight.
Also I understand the benefits of putting the camera in the housing, but why remove the o ring? Is that for air pressure reasons?

I use a ThinkTank airport roll-on bag and a ThinkTank shoulder bag that will slide over the handle on the roller board bag. Both will fit in the overhead compartment and I have carried as many as two NA-EM5 housings and a Nauticam compact housing with domes up to 170mm, four Inon Z-240 strobes, and all camera and lenses as well as my ring-flash and much more. I put trays and strobe arms into checked baggage because they seem to peek the interest of the TSA more than the other stuff does.

Phil Rudin

Back
Top Bottom