Groups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have spent some time gathering data about the usage of groups to see how much effort we need to make to try to accommodate active groups that were displaced by the loss of that feature. For the vast majority of groups, there were almost no members in the groups, but for a good number there were in fact a bunch of members but almost no discussion. Very few groups--even the populated ones--had any activity at all over the past 6-9 months, so Groups was clearly not ever a very popular feature. The upshot is that since the feature was barely used at all, there's not a lot of pressure to replicate it elsewhere on the board. Right now we are looking at the possibility of creating smaller regional subgroups within the larger regional forums, but there has to be a demonstrated interest amongst the subgroup for it to happen, both in terms of numbers of members and posting history of the old groups. South Africa, for example may form a subforum within the larger Africa regional forum, and that will be a test case. There will be no private, by-invitation-only subforums. They may be closed to posting for those not specifically registered for that forum, but they will not be invisible or private.
Our suggestion for your case, crhpai, is a regular thread in a regular discussion forum, but it's hard to say whether that will meet your needs since I have no way of learning what it was you guys were talking about in your private group.

It sounds like the forum software that drives SB, rather than SB itself, updated to remove the Groups feature without any SB input/request...is that right? Any idea why your software provider would remove a feature from its platform without any request or warning? Seems strange, but I'm not sure what support had to be dedicated to maintaining the software feature on their end.

The apparently deliberate lack of comment on why the Groups feature went away is just strange. Is a straight answer to the question 'did SB have any role in the removal of the Groups feature, and if so, why?' really asking that much?

She didn't directly answer my questions either. I got the hint.... as always. I guess it's better then the alternative of them just deleting the question.

The apparently deliberate lack of comment on why the Groups feature went away is just strange. Is a straight answer to the question 'did SB have any role in the removal of the Groups feature, and if so, why?' really asking that much?
Yes, it is asking too much. The functions of a private business are the sole concern of that business; the company has no obligation to divulge to the public any background information as to the workings of the company. In this case, ScubaBoard is not obliged to describe to you the details of the software it uses to run the board, what changes in the software have entailed changes in the features available on ScubaBoard, or how the software is configured specific to the support of ScubaBoard's policies.

Yes, it is asking too much. The functions of a private business are the sole concern of that business; the company has no obligation to divulge to the public any background information as to the workings of the company. In this case, ScubaBoard is not obliged to describe to you the details of the software it uses to run the board, what changes in the software have entailed changes in the features available on ScubaBoard, or how the software is configured specific to the support of ScubaBoard's policies.

Outstanding customer service! You would have a great Steve Jobs.

What you're not legally obligated to do, and what's asking too much, are one in the same? What an interesting approach.

My original reaction to your first post in this thread was that SB was just as surprised as we were to see the Groups vanish, and that vBulletin was the source of the issue. But given your evasion and attitude, it seems that's not the case; the only reasonable conclusion is that SB opted to remove not only a feature but any access to the prior posts contained within it without any apparent cause, and certainly without any notice to its users.

Like the HCT issue, the problem isn't in the decision to get rid of Groups, but in the shoddy approach taken to do so. At the very least, it would have been nice to save some of the discussions in Dark Magic Divers for whatever we transferred it to next. But apparently given us notice ahead of time so we could do that would also have been asking too much.

The other reasonable conclusion is that someone messed up and it was an accident and that they are now circling the wagon to protect the guilty.

Pate and Howard both hate me so I'm sure they are just like... ahh, f* em, who cares. No harm done.

But yes, the arrogance and rudeness shown is astounding. Maybe it's time for a honey badger video...

chrpai, you have indeed received outstanding customer service. You have asked about the options available to you in order to migrate your group to an alternative space on SB, and you have received a civil reply. Because it's not the reply you wish to have, you have become quarrelsome and have made further demands for information that is none of your concern. There is a product available here on SB; if you find it appealing, begin the process of acquiring it; if you don't want it, you are free to take advantage of products offered elsewhere, such as on FB. There's no call for you to take an antagonistic approach in this matter--it is a strategy that will yield no benefits to anyone.

No, it was not outstanding support. The issue was ignored for 5 days and I had to follow up. Repeated direct questions were avoided and a snarky defensive answer was finally given. You can blame me and think you were outstanding all you want though. The only reason I'm taking it to FaceBook is because I know I'll receive even more of this outstanding customer service if I request a sub forum to be made.

Have a nice day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom