Diving for Science Classes At Aquarena Center, Spring Lake San Marcos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering about all the hype concerning aquarena: you pay them a bunch of cash for them to train you to work their pool, and then you're allowed in under the condition that you'll be working the whole time? Doesn't exactly sound like fun to me, especially the pay-to-work part. If it were free, but they asked you to do a few things as part of your dive in exchange for admission, it seems they wouldn't have any problem getting divers, given the excellent conditions of their pool.

I used to think the same way. There was NO way that I was going to pay money in order to volunteer. Then I started to look at the situation differently. Given that there is no daily entrance fee for divers to enter this site, I would be saving money eventually. Plus the class allows you to dive in this pristine setting. And the volunteering part? That gives a warm, fuzzy feeling of doing something good. It's a win/win!

Had an interesting dive at Spring Lake today. We laid out the new boundary for the training area. Right now, its just a rope on poles, but will eventually be replaced with something a bit more permanent. Got some lift bag experience so that was cool. Taylor and Aaron are working to get that area in shape for the resumption of DFS classes. Still hoping for some time in the fall. Kudos to them for continuing the DFS tradition. It does have it's supporters.

Sorry Chris, Taylor was talking about Chip. You have to wait till the program starts up again.

Anyone know when they will be opening up classes for new divers?

I dove the lake back in 1977 with a buddy of mine. We put in at the old ice factory and swam up to the lake. I remember finding one of the big springs and sticking my hands into the bubbling sands. As I was looking upward, I noticed a glass bottom boat was circling over me. Always wondered what the tour guide was saying to his passengers... probably wasn't repeatable.:D

Those were certainly the good ol' days. I've recently drug my old gear out and took it into the shop to have it inspected and serviced. I'm ready to get back into the game after being away from it for over 20 years.

The latest I have heard is that they hope to have the Training Area opened sometime in September. My guess is that the big spring you ran into was Deep Hole. There are a number of smaller springs further south but they are pretty small.

The latest I have heard is that they hope to have the Training Area opened sometime in September. My guess is that the big spring you ran into was Deep Hole. There are a number of smaller springs further south but they are pretty small.

Do you think that will include an operating compressor?

Reactions: Foo
Do you think that will include an operating compressor?

Aaron has said that Ron Coley is working on getting facilities for the staff and DFS divers. Right now, Aaron and Tyler are getting fills at the SM Dive Shop at around $7 a pop. I know that they would love to have a permanent facility designed for their (and our) use.

Well, September is here and almost gone. Any news good or bad to report?

TIA,

Couv

Not a whisper from the staff. I was in the Training Area this morning and it doesn't look like they are cleaning it up.

I'd even be happy with a coin-operated compressor.:D

A coin op compressor in a self storage facility near Lake Travis would be the best thing ever.... :)

I guess I'm not meant to ever dive Spring Lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom