Warning eBay Battery Scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakev scammed me too. stole my air z nitrox and kept the money I sent him for new batteries. He targets international divers coz he can blame postage delays until ebay buyer protection ends after 45 days. He then sells them on ebay under a different name. Leicester police have a file on him. If you or anyone you know has been scammed by him contact Kate at Leicester (UK) police. Id also be keen to hear from you!

I always put in a claim before the 45 days ends. In this way if it doesn't turn up you are covered. I give them until 35 days then put in a claim. It has saved me a number of times.

I lost my Z-Nitrox to Scubakev68.
I have reported Scubakev68 to eBay & UK police. eBay have terminated his account.
If anyone else has been defrauded by Scubakev68, please report it via ActionFraud.
DaveWL

Beware of the Uwatec dive computer battery replacement seller on eBay (scubakev68).
I sent my Aladin Pro to get the battery replaced and have not heard back from the seller
and I am afraid my computer is gone too. Although eBay gave me a refund Iam unable to get my computer back.
I recently found out that this has happened to others too. Don't do business with this individual.

So this kevguy is no longer a registered user.

Why did the OP feel the need to send his computer to the UK for battery replacement? Seems kinda dumb, although the politically correct will rightfully jump on my toes for abusing the HARD-OF-HEARING for using the word "dumb" instead of something harsher like stupid.

Reactions: Jax
The OP's computer is of a type that Scubapro/Uwatec stop servicing because they are too difficult to service. You cannot send it away to an authorized service center for battery replacement. Scubapro offered a trade in allowance on the computer for a new one years ago, so their solution was for you to spend several hundred more dollars to get a working computer.

I had an Air Z Nitrox that I was thinking of sending away to the UK (not sure if it was to the same person) to have the batteries replaced. The reason why is because at the time I knew of no one in the US that would service it. Also the person had good recommendations on the UK dive board. If I knew about the Brass Anchor I would have sent it to them. In the end I just sold it with dead batteries on eBay to someone from Thailand.

Also someone who is hard of hearing is called DEAF, someone who cannot speak was called DUMB (not sure of the politically correct term). There are many deaf people who can speak just fine.

What is so hard about replacing the battery? Do you need special tools to perform the change?

someone who cannot speak was called DUMB (not sure of the politically correct term).

I would think "mute," but have been wrong before on political correctness.

What is so hard about replacing the battery? Do you need special tools to perform the change?

You need to cut open the case, drain the oil out of the case, un-solder the battery, resolder the battery, add back the oil, reseal the case, and test the computer. There are instructions on how to do it online. My understanding there was too high of a breakage rate when changing the battery and too high a failure rate after the battery replacement. So Scubapro/Uwatec decided not to service them anymore and offered a trade in allowance. They made essentially a disposable dive computer.

---------- Post added September 27th, 2013 at 06:20 AM ----------

I would think "mute," but have been wrong before on political correctness.

I think the prefered term is speech-impaired now.

You need to cut open the case, drain the oil out of the case, un-solder the battery, resolder the battery, add back the oil, reseal the case, and test the computer. There are instructions on how to do it online. My understanding there was too high of a breakage rate when changing the battery and too high a failure rate after the battery replacement. So Scubapro/Uwatec decided not to service them anymore and offered a trade in allowance. They made essentially a disposable dive computer.

---------- Post added September 27th, 2013 at 06:20 AM ----------

I think the prefered term is speech-impaired now.

One of those designs that sounded good at the time but there are so many better ways now. If I had one it would be now in the bin. They probably cost an arm and a leg at the time too?

One of those designs that sounded good at the time but there are so many better ways now. If I had one it would be now in the bin. They probably cost an arm and a leg at the time too?
The design was actually quite good. The oil filled means it will not compress and so there is very little stress on the housing. Much less chance of leakage as there is no pressure differential inside the case. The back part is covered by a flexible rubber membrane protected by a very thin outer case.

Batteries last 500 or more dives. You could consider them disposable, but this lifetime probably exceeds many more modern computers.

I still dive with a couple made way back in 1995. They are rock solid.

---------- Post added September 27th, 2013 at 10:40 PM ----------

You need to cut open the case, drain the oil out of the case, un-solder the battery, resolder the battery, add back the oil, reseal the case, and test the computer. There are instructions on how to do it online. My understanding there was too high of a breakage rate when changing the battery and too high a failure rate after the battery replacement. So Scubapro/Uwatec decided not to service them anymore and offered a trade in allowance. They made essentially a disposable dive computer..
i think the big issue was the later models were firmly glued shut AND some required special software program to reset the battery life.

The early models are very easy to snap open and replace the battery. But very messy!

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom