Warning eBay Battery Scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things like this also wouldn't happen if you didn't use e-bay.

Boycott ebay.

So the local computer guy who sold me a dud PC and then told me tough when I complained is different? Also the local car repair shop who charged me $80 for 2 windscreen wiper rubber (normally sold at $5-$10) who then also said tough that's the price, they were different than some scammy guy ripping people off from ebay?

I have used ebay for many years and have never been ripped off to date. Although I have had issues, they have all been resolved. The truth is that there are dishonest people in all walks of life and all industries. Ebay might make it a little easier to rip people off due to the distance between purchase and supply, however if you take care the risks are low. Its not ebay that's the problem, its the increase in dishonest people taking advantage of trusting purchasers and the current attitude of police in chasing down these people.

Local businesses who have for years been making an absolute killing on products by pricing them up to 600% above reasonable prices have now been brought to task, however it has also affected honest shopkeepers as well. Whether we like it or not, the new world is the internet and trying to stop it from being the new world is like trying to stop the ocean with a sheet of tin. Like it or hate it, internet sales are the now and future and not going to go away.

Things like this also wouldn't happen if you didn't use e-bay.

Boycott ebay.

Because nobody gets ripped off using the SB marketplace.

Well, there was that whole keithdiver deal.....

Reactions: Jax
Because nobody gets ripped off using the SB marketplace.

Well, there was that whole keithdiver deal.....

That was just a misunderstanding, remember.

And folks who create those misunderstandings exist, regardless of the venue.

The question is, does the seller look at eBay as a repeated game or a single game? In other words, are they looking to use eBay regularly or just once. If you screw someone you generally get poor feedback and that will hurt you for future sales. Plus the fact that Paypal will hold your money for a time period kind of prevents shady people from operating long. The OP was cheated because he sent the computer in for repair and will not get it back.

Actually ebay offers a more protection than SB because with eBay you have a condition issue if the item is not as described. On SB using Paypal you don't. I remember a thread where a guy bought a Halcyon rig that was shown in the pictures "like-new" but what he received was "well-used". He was screwed because Paypal doesn't deal with condition issues. All they cared about was that he received the package.

Usually you are fine purchasing from a regular SB user.

The service being complained about appears to still be in business as per this current ad at the bottom of this link

News

The service being complained about appears to still be in business as per this current ad at the bottom of this link

News

So much for the police putting him out of business. Once again its not ebay being the problem but the whole process of dealing with the person so they continue to flourish.

International shipping seems like a red flag for most transactions. Delays seem to crop up, customs issues arise, ....

I had this happen to me. I sold an Abyss (speaking of shady) harness to some guy in Ireland. Rather than send it airmail he wanted sent by boat so he could avoid the customs duty. The package took close to two months to arrive and he contacted Paypal. I told him that Paypal is not an insurance company and that they would take the money out of my account. I had to scan and send Paypal all the backup info along with the emails of him telling me how he wanted it sent and declining insurance, etc. While all this was going on the package finally arrived. In the end he was happy with the harness. I was really mad, heck I even put in a birthday card to make it look like a gift. lol. After that I will never send international again.

I had this happen to me. I sold an Abyss (speaking of shady) harness to some guy in Ireland. Rather than send it airmail he wanted sent by boat so he could avoid the customs duty. The package took close to two months to arrive and he contacted Paypal. I told him that Paypal is not an insurance company and that they would take the money out of my account. I had to scan and send Paypal all the backup info along with the emails of him telling me how he wanted it sent and declining insurance, etc. While all this was going on the package finally arrived. In the end he was happy with the harness. I was really mad, heck I even put in a birthday card to make it look like a gift. lol. After that I will never send international again.
International is NOT the problem. El cheapo snail mail is the problem. Cheap takes time. I have bought items from china, israel, Germany, Australia, England, USA and even Canada. Never had an issue since I always request shipping via a service that provides a tracking number. That way I can watch the progress of my package. I also always ship the same way. That way I know when the package arrived.

Back
Top Bottom