Old Commercial Diver w/34 year old cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the mid 90's because of family issues I took a 10 year break from diving after 40 years of continuous diving. The wife and I took a cruise that included a stop in Cozumel so I took my gear along and it was like I never had stopped.

It is my opinion that after a lay off of this length that a full recertification is in order.
But yeah, the training might be very lightweight for someone so skilled from the olden days.
And:
The gear has changed.
Some theory has changed.
We have new hand signals.
We are in many ways better divers than we used to be.
We are in many ways worse divers than we used to be.

Chug
Would insist that that my dad did the same.

This was me a bit over a year ago. Certified in '76, about 200 dives all over the Pacific rim, moved back to AZ in '81, did a couple of lake dives and some pool service work, then hung up my fins.

I decided to get back into it last Spring. I evaluated where the industry had gone in 3 decades and decided to just do OW class. I don't regret it, though the training is significantly different (some easier, some more difficult.)

My suggestion FWIW, rather than a full OW course, find the oldest, crustiest DiveMaster or Instructor in your area and have him do an evaluation dive or two with your dad. They'll trade war stories, kvetch about how easy the kids today have it, and he'll get an evaluation from someone he will probably trust.

Back
Top Bottom