Cozumel Video - Palancar Caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got the chance to really try out my GoPro in the open water. This is the first of my dives while cruising last week. This was shot at Palancar Caves in Cozumel. I'd like to thank Aldora Divers and Manuela for the outstanding service that made our dives a great experience and this video possible.

Equipment used:
GoPro Hero 3 BE
SRP CYD filter
SRP tray, arms and torch mounts
2 Archon D11V video lights
+10 or two stacked +10 diopter lenses
1080p/60, Protune, Camera Raw WB
Cineform for video grading
Vegas Pro for editing

[video]http://vimeo.com/orlandod/palancar[/video]

I still need to find a way to keep more steady, it's damn near impossible for me.

Last edited:
Great video.

Stabilizing video footage is something that takes a lot of effort but once you get it right, rest is history.

My biggest advice would be to master your buoyancy. And when I say master... I mean... your buoyancy needs to be 99.99999% on the money.... you hover effortlessly without kicking... just hover with entire body completely relaxed and no tense muscles. Best place to practice that would be in a pool or a lake or a quarry or anywhere where there is no current. Set yourself to a depth of say X feet and hover. A great disadvantage to mastering that skill is to re-learn same experience now that you have a camera. Camera is an extension of you and it enough positively or negatively buoyant to offset your mastered skills. You need to master same buoyancy while holding the camera.

Camera placement is paramount. I see a lot of divers hold it in front of them. When they do that... all of their hand muscles stiffen up and it makes camera shake by default. Perfect analogy would be walking on a pool trampoline. Once you reach the end it becomes very wobbly. I have learned to overcome that by doing the simplest thing possible. Lift up your hands right now... above your head and hold them there. That is what most beginning videographers do under water. Look up and stare at the ceiling for a good minute and notice how your hands start to shake. Now take both hands, cross your fingers and put them on top of your head and relax. You can sit like that for hours... it comes natural... we all do that. So the trick to a steady shot is to have your elbows bent. When under water lower your camera and hands away from eyesight by about a foot and keeps elbows bent and arms relaxed. That acts like a giant shock absorber. All of the long time videographers (or I should say most I have personally seen) dive exactly like that.

Camera filming is the last frontier. When you film avoid kicking as it adds another element you have to deal with. When filming do not follow object with hands... follow it with your entire body. Your shot of that nurse shark worked out beautifully because your entire body sort of rotated with the shark. Also loosen grip on the camera. When fighting current it is easier to to control the shot with your wrists rather than entire body.

Unfortunately there are not many video resources out there to help you master underwater videography but what helped me was watching youtube videos. Don't just watch the video but study it. Ask yourself questions like... "how would I have filmed that shot".

Keep up the good work.

Palancar is perhaps my most favorite dive in Coz. I dove it many a times. The gardens the caves the top side... it is amazing either way. I have several videos of it somewhere on my channel I think.

Thanks for the advice Yarik. Your right, my whole body moved for the nurse shark shot. I will take all those pointers you mention into account next time. My buoyancy is far from perfect but with time I hope to get it better.

Great start El Pistoffo!

(just realised what your username says lol)

Deffo for sure, you have all the right tools at your disposal now, its just time for more practice, practice, practice!

My first videos suffered from massive jitter, but the more I shot (and thought about what I wanted from the shot) the more stable I got.

I wasn't too sure on the macro with the GoPro, but at 2:05 you've sold it too me - I'm off to buy an Adaptor!

As to video resources - have a look 'Camera Coach' DVD

I've ordered a copy - no idea if its any good, but its the only underwater related one I could find!

Look forward to your next one!

very nice

Thanks, I've got more macro shots coming down the pipe. Setting up between wide angle and macro is a bit of a pain with the GoPro but it can be done with some success. If there were only a quicker way to switch FOV modes with the Gopro, like say a single dedicated button. That would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom