Tricks for reaching valves and manifold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tplyons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm halfway done with Tec 40 after completing dive 1 and 2 yesterday and felt comfortable with all exercises EXCEPT for valve shutdown drills. I'm not very flexible, and with some effort can reach the right post and manifold, but just can't reach the left valve without a LOT of effort... loosening the buckle and crotch strap by a few inches and moving to a VERY head down attitude and its still a struggle.

Are there any tricks for this? Considering I'm still using rental gear (not in a position to invest in my own doubles or BP/W yet), what can I do? I can move the bands a little bit, but I'm on the top hole of the plate. I'm diving in a drysuit and don't feel that its constricting me, just my muscles/tendons preventing me from going all the way.

Are there any recommended stretches? Tricks? Tips?

How about improving your flexibility? There's no shortage of exercises to do so.

I'm halfway done with Tec 40 after completing dive 1 and 2 yesterday and felt comfortable with all exercises EXCEPT for valve shutdown drills. I'm not very flexible, ...... just can't reach the left valve without a LOT of effort...

Are there any tricks for this?

Put the tanks under your armpits! :wink:

How about improving your flexibility? There's no shortage of exercises to do so.

Definitely going to work on my flexibility, but I doubt this will be enough to reach comfortably by next Saturday.

---------- Post added September 29th, 2013 at 01:28 PM ----------

Put the tanks under your armpits! :wink:
Definitely want to try sidemount eventually too...

It is a struggle sometimes, perhaps especially for us gentlemen that haven't prioritized flexibility. I have one combination of undersuit and drysuit that makes it very hard to reach the valves. I usually reach the first stage and then "finger-walk"/pull my hand to the valve in that case.

Also, practicing reaching back helps, and rather quickly too if you haven't been practicing that movement before.

As others have said - you need to work on your shoulder flexibility.

Put your arm above your head with your hand flat on a wall and walk forward until you press your armpit into the wall. If that comes easy, keep walking to hyperextend the joint.

Also work on clasping your hands behind your back with one over your shoulder and one from behind around your waist - then switch hands.

Won't happen by Saturday - but them's the breaks.

HERE's the best writeup I know on reaching valves. And HERE is a good article on stretches for tight shoulders. It's a complex issue that starts with technique, involves joint flexibility, can be impossible with the wrong exposure protection, requires proper gear adjustment, and benefits from a lot of practice.

TSandM, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

I'll be doing those stretches to prepare for next week... and will see if there are any slight adjustments I can make.

Thanks again!

Stretches prior to the dive. Most divers I see never do any stretches before a dive. Why? I'll never know. When I forget to stretch prior to a dive I am more likely to have leg cramps. Watch even swimmers like Michael Phelps, they are always stretching prior to their heat. Stay horizonal, too many divers start to get rather vertical when doing this drill and causes the tanks to drop down even more out of reach. Use the opposite hand to push the tanks up from the bottom of the tank.

Bring your elbow up to your ear, keeping your forearm next to your head, don't "chicken wing" your arm out moving your elbow out to the side. Keep your head tilted back as this keeps your shoulders loose. How low are your tanks on your back?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom