Magic Point, Sydney - still good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cpt_Smooth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,

I've heard from a lot of people that Magic Point, Sydney is quite crowded nowadays so the numbers of grey nurses aren't what they were 5 - 10 years ago. Does anyone have some recent experience there and would they recommend it? I head up to Coffs a couple times a year to visit the in laws so can always check out the sharks at the Solitaries without the crowds.

Also, I have a friend who's visiting soon and just completed her open water. I'm thinking Magic Point might be a bit full on for her first dive, any thoughts on how easy it is? I hear it's relatively easy - flat and clam, but we're probably better off doing a couple Shelley Beach dives first I'm thinking.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Have only ever done Magic Point once, mny years ago, and from memory was only about half a dozen GN there then. Have heard that they are getting rarer there.

I dont think Magic Point woul be too daunting for someone who has just completed their OW.

There are much better places to see sharks then Magic Point ... Fishrock at SW Rocks and the Pinnacle at Foster much better but the pinnacle is 30m.

Was there last February during a business trip visit to Sydney. Spent 30min on the sand watching ~ 12 sharks swimming around.

Magic Point is the one spot where some sort of controls are required to limit diver numbers. This is because a couple of charter boats take full loads of incompetent divers there and they flounder all over the place.

That being said, there are still the same number of sharks there now as there has been over the years since the sharks were first sighted there, although there are variations from month to month. Last time I was there about three months ago there were about a dozen sharks.

taking an out of town'er to Shelley isn't a bad idea also. I think we take it for granted how good Shelley beach is these days.

just get in there during the week or before the classes start.

Yes, a good day at Shelley is as good a dive as you can get in my opinion. I do like being able to dive a snorkel site and get a different perspective.

Yeah Shelly is a site we normally take out of towners to get a good dive and sort out equipment issues. It is shallow but normally heaps to see with easy in and out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom