Dive boots...absorbing the smell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never tried it but I read it in a Boardroom Reports once. To stop footwear from stinking put it in a bag and freeze it. The cold supposedly kills the bacteria causing the smell.

Rinse, shake some baking soda inside each bootie, throw them in the corner of the garage till needed again.

What about liveaboards? If one doesn't use sink the stink, what other ways to keep booties from smelling up the boat? Boots won't dry out between dives due to hest and humidity. Advice please?

What about liveaboards? If one doesn't use sink the stink, what other ways to keep booties from smelling up the boat? Boots won't dry out between dives due to hest and humidity. Advice please?

I'll answer your questions with more questions...
Why are you taking your stinky boots inside the cabin?
Why are you worried about it? Everyone's boots stink on a dive boat.

Let them dry out a bit before you pack to leave, sprinkle a little baking soda inside (or a dryer sheet) and them stuff them in a gallon size zip-lock baggie if you're worried about them stinking up your other stinky gear.

Stinky boots and pissy wetsuits are just part of this wonderful hobby of ours.

Scuba Toys sold me some 'McNett Mirazyme Enzyme' which they claimed was a cheaper alternative to 'Stink' (it's carried pretty widely by others). Works great, I've had hotels with no tub and put a couple capfuls and a 1/2 gal of water in a small trash bin and first soaked my boots for 15 min then my incredibly reeking wetsuit. Then hung them till morning (you do not rinse them afterwards) and while then never completely dried, they smelled like new. Any other container (bucket, ect) would work also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom