Best Places to Dive Near Singapore First Week in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be taking a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong in December. I would love to fly to Singapore early and so some diving while in the area before the cruise so where would be the best places to dive that time of year near Singapore - Malaysia, Indonesia? Thanks!

How many days would you have Beth? Sipadan would be the first on my list but for somewhere easy to get from SNG maybe Thailand is the most convenient - Similans or Phuket. A little out of season for Bali but still good diving available at Tulamben.

Checkup lembeh and Bangka in December. Often discounted time, great diving, prob bit of rain but I had great time in December. Easy to get to lembeh- silk air from Singapore and 2 hr car pickup by most resorts. All macro and muck diving, some coral sites for lembeh, pinnacle diving with macro and some muck at Bangka.

I agree with Pughio83!!! Easy flight and awesome diving. Check out KBR!!!

Hi Beth, as mentioned by pughio83, Lembeh is easy to get to from Singapore. And as the Strait is rather protected, the diving is still fantastic even though December is the rainy season here in this part of the world.

I will be taking a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong in December. I would love to fly to Singapore early and so some diving while in the area before the cruise so where would be the best places to dive that time of year near Singapore - Malaysia, Indonesia? Thanks!

Most of the close dive sites in Malaysia will be closed due to the Monsoon season. Phuket has some very nice diving in December. You could do a LOB. Also if you like muck diving, be sure to spend one day checking out Singapore's reef at Pulau Hantu. There is a very nice reef on the western side, although it is covered with silt most times. A lot of interesting marine life to be found there. Vis however, can range from 1 - 13m.

Thanks all for your replies. I have never heard of MUCK diving. lol It sounds dirty. :) Please explain.

I arrive in Singapore Monday, December 2nd and 1 AM and have to be back in Singapore the following Friday evening.

---------- Post added October 4th, 2013 at 10:27 AM ----------

I agree with Pughio83!!! Easy flight and awesome diving. Check out KBR!!!

What is KBR?

---------- Post added October 4th, 2013 at 10:29 AM ----------

Hi Beth, as mentioned by pughio83, Lembeh is easy to get to from Singapore. And as the Strait is rather protected, the diving is still fantastic even though December is the rainy season here in this part of the world.

I'll check this out. Thanks! :)

Hi Beth,

A good explanation of muck diving here. You'll find many experienced divers absolutely love this kind of diving - I know I do :). It's like an underwater treasure hunt finding animals that most of the time you simply don't realise are there. Some of the small critters (as we like to call them) are incredibly beautiful and well sometimes incredibly ugly. Lembeh Strait is the best place in the world for this type of diving. You could get 3 days of diving in with your travel plans. Silk air have a flight around 9am to Manado, so you could get a few hours rest in the transit hotel at Changi.

Thanks all for your replies. I have never heard of MUCK diving. lol It sounds dirty. :) Please explain.

I arrive in Singapore Monday, December 2nd and 1 AM and have to be back in Singapore the following Friday evening.

---------- Post added October 4th, 2013 at 10:27 AM ----------

There is Singapore-Manado flight on Monday, 9AM or so, and you can get back in Singapore by Friday night by taking the 2PM flight from Manado arriving in Singapore at 5.30PM or so. This will give you 2.5 days of diving in the Strait, looking for critters :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom