Atomic regulator questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got this Atomic regulator and need to know what model it is and how old it is. The purge cover has titanium Ti2 on it. The purge cover is also deteriorating and crumbles apart. Is this a common problem with this purge cover. I know nothing of Atomic regulators and any info is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG1505.jpg
    IMAG1505.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 484
Could it be a TX2? I've been diving Atomic for lots if years with no problems whatsoever. If your LDS says it's in good condition it is probably worth doing the work.

I think it was one of Atomics first titanium regulator sets. My google-fu found this lovely old review.

Atomic Aquatics - Reprint - Aug. 1997

I believe atomic Aquatics still sells the Ti2 2nd stage as an octo. Only difference should be a yellow purge cover and knob.

Purge covers are cheap.

Ti2 is an Octo. It was sold with the T1 1st/2nd. So your first stage is likely a T1. I believe, but I'm not sure that Atomic can upgrade it to a T2. [user]Scared Silly[/user] knows a lot about these - maybe he has more insight.

Parts are still available. Check with Scubatoys, they still sell the Ti2 Octo. I think the covers are pretty universal. Atomic Ti2 Octo discounts on sale Atomic

Here's an old (1999) review that gives you some idea of the age of the reg. http://www.atomic.com.tw/news/SD_T1.html

Contact Atomic also, they have a factory service option. It may cost more but from what I understand the entire reg gets rebuilt/cleaned up. It's also possible to have the piston etc. upgraded on some models since a T1 that old will probably be one of those that needed to be dedicated for use with Nitrox.

Ask about it in the Atomic forum also. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/atomic-aquatics/ - [user]RonR[/user] is the current mfr's rep and has been on the board as recently as last week.

You have an early version of the Ti reg that came with a Ti2 face purge cover. Or really the Ti2 came with either a chrome plated brass first stage (early B1) or with a Ti first stage (what is pictured). The purge covers basically rot with lots of sun and usage. Fairly common. The reg is at least 10 - 12 years old.

So what needs to be done. Get it serviced and while doing that get a T2 upgrade kit for the second stage which is a new purge cover and ring, adjustment knob, and exhaust (and AFC cover if ya want the bling). Probably want a new hose as well. Once done you have a fully updated T2 sans comfort swivel hose, and the current version is the second stage case which around 2006 was changed slightly.

For the first stage, update the piston to a monel piston when it gets serviced. The old version was subject to creep. Not all, but getting service kits with the old HP seat can be problematic though NNES has them. There is also swivel retainer that is monel on the T2 but not really necessary to change it out. I should add that the first now comes sealed. At that point most people are using the reg for both air/nitrox thought Atomic says one should use it for one or the other but not both.

Last edited:
I found a number on the body AKO134 and a number on the hose end fitting D 10 97 The first stage has a very fine brushed finish.

Attachments

• IMAG1508.jpg
    IMAG1508.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 402
Given the finish that's a Ti first stage. Very nice reg.

1st stage is titanium for sure. look at how think the Yoke clamp is. The brass yoke clamp is a lot thicker. I have the same regulator, first stage is more like a T1, 2nd stage is Ti2/B1. Functionality wise, there isn't much difference compared to the present model. You will need jet seat piston upgrade if your HP seat needs replacement. Cost is like $70 for parts. You can also put B2 color kit on the 2nd stage. If you a older Ti2/B1 covery, PM me, I have one laying around you can have.

1st stage is titanium for sure. look at how think the Yoke clamp is. The brass yoke clamp is a lot thicker. I have the same regulator, first stage is more like a T1, 2nd stage is Ti2/B1. Functionality wise, there isn't much difference compared to the present model. You will need jet seat piston upgrade if your HP seat needs replacement. Cost is like $70 for parts. You can also put B2 color kit on the 2nd stage. If you a older Ti2/B1 covery, PM me, I have one laying around you can have.

I updated my post above base on the new picture and agree it is an early Ti first stage. Regarding the piston upgrade - toss the monel piston in rather than the stainless steel and then seal the reg and then use it for both air/nitrox though Atomic says one should use it for one or the other but not both.

I updated my post above base on the new picture and agree it is an early Ti first stage. Regarding the piston upgrade - toss the monel piston in rather than the stainless steel and then seal the reg and then use it for both air/nitrox though Atomic says one should use it for one or the other but not both.

While I agree with upgrading to a Jet Seat piston, what is a reason for going with monel over SS whether using Nitrox or air? I'm not seeing an advantage. I added the SS Jet seat piston to my T1 and sealed it up and love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom