Scubaboard Chatters Restore the Coral Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Froid

Contributor
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp] A few SBers from the chat room got together last weekend to dive in Key Largo and work with the Coral Restoration group. Mselenaous helped organize a great class with the group at Coral Restoration Foundation for all of us. We spent about 2-3 hours in the classroom at CRF headquarters located at the Pilot House Marina.

During the class, Kayla from CRF explained all about coral biology and how it got in its current condition, how the nursery works, and how to tag/ plant the baby corals.
[/FONT] Did you know that most of this work has been done by volunteer divers just like us of all experience and training levels.

group2.jpg
Chat room Group

mage.jpg
[FONT=&amp]Mermage learning how to adhere the coral to the reef[/FONT]

bubs.jpg
1bubbleoff helping Mini Mouse in honor of the new grant CRF received from the Disney organization.

After learning the correct procedures to handle the coral, the group went out with Horizon Divers to do their first dive on the Coral Nursery near Snapper Ledge. It is the largest such nursery in the world. It was amazing seeing all the young coral hanging from all the PVC trees. The group tagged the small coral pieces in order to get them ready for planting on the second dive

coral.JPG

On the second dive, the group actually went out and planted the coral on Molasses Reef. Using hammers, we cleaned off algae areas on the reef to put the coral pieces . We used marine epoxy to adhere the coral to the reef. The fun part was dodging the fire coral. After planting 40 new staghorn corals, it was time to head back to the boat.

Group.jpg
Annika1, Beaner, 1bubbleoff

AnJen.jpg
Annika1 and Beaner planting coral

Kurt.jpg
1bubbleoff

lots 37.jpg
Some of the finished product

Jessica.jpg
Jessica (ScubaJ33), CRF's Science & Education Director, checking the groups work.

Thanks for all the SBers who came from near and far (as far as NY, SoCal, MN, & PR) that participated in the dive: Froid, Annika1, beaner, Boriqua, Kaptain Sparrow, Mermage, mermaid0sea, 1bubbleoff, Thez yo and of course Netdoc and Mselenaous.

Thanks to all the staff at Horizon Divers, Captain Stephanie, Captain Troy, Raisa, and Kara. They were a fantastic crew and made the trip out and back a blast.

And a special thanks to the Staff at the Coral Restoration Foundation, Kayla, Adam, Patrick and Jessica. It was so much fun, we will be back to see how our "babies" are growing and to help plant more corals.

Last edited:
Froid-

Had a GREAT TIME....participating in this activity...wonderful people, great diving..and even more so...an opportunity to actually engage in an activity that literally...effects the entire ecosystem...I am humbled and incredibly flattered to be part of this process...one day..I can literally point and tell my kids.." I did that..I made a difference!!"
Big kudo's to the Coral Reef Foundation for doing what they do..and a heartfelt "thankyou"... to Mscelaneouse ,Netdoc and SB for giving every scuba diver out there the chance to do something WORTHY.... what a great way for a diver to "pay it forward"...I REALLY hope...more people get involved... our reefs need us!!!
I'd do it again in a heartbeat..and PLAN on it next chance I get!!! Thanks again CRF, Eleana..Pete..and all who participated!! Your actions..speak louder than any words about the quality and character of the people here on SB.

Bubs

I an glad you all included Bori and me as well! Highlight for me was the coral restoration though the fire coral will need to behave next time! Nice to dive with everyone. Good times and friendship for a good cause, I can't think of a better win-win vacation.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

Thank you guys for helping the environment! It is a great thing you did I hope if you do this again more people will be able to go to help. Because of this I am looking for something similar to do in my area. Thank you so much.

You know, Froid already said everything so I was trying to think of what I could add...

I guess my favourite part was when the little yellow fish (help with ID?) started swimming around our pile of corals before we even planted them checking the scene out. Afterwards when we swam back over the newly planted corals, a different bigger fish (black and round-ish? help ID?) had already claimed permanent residence among them and was chasing off others. It's like habitat for humanity, but for fish!

Also, I like volunteering with 501 c (3)s :)

I guess my favourite part was when the little yellow fish (help with ID?) started swimming around our pile of corals before we even planted them checking the scene out. Afterwards when we swam back over the newly planted corals, a different bigger fish (black and round-ish? help ID?) had already claimed permanent residence among them and was chasing off others. It's like habitat for humanity, but for fish!
Little Yellow fish: probably a juveniles Bluehead (wrasse)
Black and roundish: bicolored damselfish (half black, half white), yellow-tailed damselfish - only adults actually have yellow tails (navy with electric blue spots or an almost black/gray/navy solid color with a yellow tail)

Glad everyone had a good time. I went over your little patch of reef a couple of days ago and got to point out YOUR corals to some other divers. :D

Boricua and I enjoyed diving at the Living Seas this weekend! We got to see maps of the restoration projects and I showed them the pictures of Minnie and Mickey at the restoration headquarters. I also encouraged all the divers in the group to head down to KL to lend a hand. Hope some will. I let them know their grant helps the restoration effort and how appreciated that was. I hope more of us can get over there to let them know!!! It was another win-win weekend!

It felt great being able to do something to help restore our precious reef system. We all take so much pleasure in being able to enjoy the reefs and sea creatures that call them home, the least we can do is to try to restore them. I shot some video during the dives so here it is:

[video=youtube_share;nj1Y_fvffaw]http://youtu.be/nj1Y_fvffaw[/video]

Hey folks, I dove on Molasses Reef last week and took a few photos of your coral babies!

IMG_6416.jpg IMG_6417.jpg IMG_6429.jpg IMG_6430.jpg IMG_6431.jpg IMG_6432.jpg IMG_6433.jpg IMG_6434.jpg

Feel proud. Y'all done good! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom