Palancar Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zman96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Late last year through early this year there was a small pack of black tips that were hanging around the Palancar sites. I haven't heard them mentioned lately and I wondered if anybody had seen them around. I was lucky enough to see them numerous times on a dive back in Feb and was hoping to catch them again in a few weeks.

End of September we, and when I say we I mean everyone in the group except me who suggested we go see them, saw them. They used to be around Palancar caves. Think we (see precious disclaimer) saw them at the beginning of Palancar Bricks this time.

I did see the DM flip me the shark sign, but that was it...

I was on Palancar Caves early Sep and we had a group of five hanging around. We dropped down and hovered for about 20 to 30 minutes watching them. Ally from Aldora put us on this dive just to find them. Two days before we tried to find them, and seen them but they were below us and headed away.

Thanks everybody, hope to see them again.
Chief we you sleeping off the margaritas from Wet Wendys or El Moro on that dive to miss them?

Zman, we saw 5 black tip reef shark pups this past Saturday at Palancar caves. They were hanging out at about 100 ft. just off the wall. This was about 7 min. into our dive as we came out of a swim-through. Have not seen the bigger ones from last year in several months but I was very excited to see a new group of babies! Hope they stay around awhile like the last bunch.

Thanks everybody, hope to see them again.
Chief we you sleeping off the margaritas from Wet Wendys or El Moro on that dive to miss them?

My tequila pony bottle fell out and I was busy recovering it. Need to get a tether.

It is always that way. Anytime I am not on the boat, they see wonderful things. I graciously gave up a spot one day in September to the missus and took our company to Buccanos. On that trip they saw dolphins, eagle rays, 6 whale sharks, 27 seahorses, an orca and at the end of the dive Moby Dick swan through and then when they surfaced some screaming one legged guy in a panga nearly ran them over.

ahab.jpgmoby-dick.jpg

I don't think they would lie to me...... :confused:

'Course I did dive with dolphins in September..... I know.....

[youtubehq]loC_gzn54QQ[/youtubehq]

Last edited:
I think they were the ones drinking with that kind of dive report!
I am going to have to plan to dive with you during Carnival, then get you to have too many drinks and miss the boat, so I can see all of these cool things as well.

I saw them on at least 3 different dives last December - First week. Palancar Caves, Palancar Bricks, and Palancar Gardens. The group of 5 or 6 at Palancar Gardens were definitely juveniles, all fairly small. The 2 or 3 we saw at Palancar Caves and Palancar Bricks seemed older, bigger; they might have been the same group. Hoping to see them again this December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom