Budget Phuket? (December 2013)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwayssummer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello fellow divers. I'm planning a trip to Phuket in December. As always, I look to scubaboard for advice. We have 9 days in Thailand, although that could potentially be increased a tiny bit.

Anyway, I am looking for beach-front accommodations on a budget. Actually, I'll sleep anywhere, but my fiancee wants beach front. I can dig it. Naturally, wherever we stay needs to be accessible to local diving.

I also wonder what kind of options exist for budget diving. Based on the recommendations I've seen here so far, the diving prices seem to fall into a fairly narrow range. Does anyone have recommendations for a shop that is particularly budget oriented but still decent?

Finally, sometimes the best advice is to get out. It seems like we have enough time to transfer somewhere else, is it worth taking the time to get out Phuket (either for budget reasons or because there's diving elsewhere that can't be missed)?

If you want 'budget' diving, you need to look at Koh Tao, by far the cheapest place to dive in Thailand, but unfortunately far from the best diving. I would say in my limited experience of the Phuket area, as most other places, shops will be charging along similar lines.
KT is certainly the place for those on a limited budget, but for me neither the diving or the island are to my taste, yes you will pay more in Phuket for most things, but that will be rewarded with far better diving.

Unfortunately beach front and budget don't really go together on Phuket but you'll easily be able to find budget accommodation within easy walking distance of the beach. You won't find a great deal of variety in the price for the diving but booking a package can save you a little money. Free pick ups from Patong, Kata and Karon for the dive trips so plenty of hotels to choose from (kata is the closest to the pier and has some ok cheap beach diving). Otherwise turn right out of the airport and head for Khao Lak where you can access the Similan Islands. If you're both divers then a liveaboard might be an option.

If you want 'budget' diving, you need to look at Koh Tao....

We already have our tickets. We are going to Phuket. Plus, it needs to be a nice trip for the fiancee even it turns out she doesn't take to diving. But I'll put that on my list of places to hit next time I'm diving solo.

Unfortunately beach front and budget don't really go together on Phuket but you'll easily be able to find budget accommodation within easy walking distance of the beach. You won't find a great deal of variety in the price for the diving but booking a package can save you a little money. Free pick ups from Patong, Kata and Karon for the dive trips so plenty of hotels to choose from (kata is the closest to the pier and has some ok cheap beach diving).

Ah yes, the age old advice. Figure out where you want to stay first, then pick a hotel. :) Any idea what kind of prices we might face at the cheap end of the spectrum for beachfront?

Otherwise turn right out of the airport and head for Khao Lak where you can access the Similan Islands.

So, I've heard the Similans make a grueling day trip if you're based in Phuket. Is it worth heading up to Khao Lak for a couple of nights as a side trip? Anything else to do up there?

If you're both divers then a liveaboard might be an option.
She's probably going to get certified in Phuket. Maybe I can sell her on the idea for the next trip.

Thanks guys! Great stuff.

Hey, alwayssummer

leave Phuket and head to Khao Lak directly. Is it worth it? Yes, definitly. You can also do this for just a couple of days. There are plenty of beachfront resorts in Khao Lak, many dive shops and it´s definitly the best place in Thailand to start from, no matter if you plan exploration of the country under or above water.

I´ll send you a PN at the same time as I´ll drop this comment here, sharing a contact to Khao Lak. You may want to check back with her for preasonably priced accomodation at or very near the beach.

Have a nice day.

Not a fan of Phuket either but if you are looking on phuket island only how low is your budget? I know of some absolute beachfront huts for 70bht a night....dont expect an ensuite tho :) Khao Lak is awesome, if your wife wants to do topside stuff id also consider Krabi just a short 2 hour drive south (Taxi should charge you around $100) - you can do the Phi Phi and Phuket dives from Krabi and theres a few reasonable local sites. Also for topside stuff is nearby Railay Beach, one of my favourite places in the world to watch the sun set from. Can recommend a good operator in Ao Nang.

leave Phuket and head to Khao Lak directly. Is it worth it? Yes, definitly. You can also do this for just a couple of days. There are plenty of beachfront resorts in Khao Lak, many dive shops and it´s definitly the best place in Thailand to start from, no matter if you plan exploration of the country under or above water.
That sounds like an excellent idea. Did I mention that my fiancee is not yet certified? I'm looking to find an OW course for her. Do you think Khao Lak is a suitable place for an OW course?

Also, how do you recommend getting around Thailand? Is it going to be difficult to get from the airport to Khao Lak?

Hi Wingy - you know of basic beach front huts for 70 baht per day in Phuket over December?
Maybe he meant 700? 70 would be pretty impressive.

Sorry..yes 700baht..typo she meant :wink: low season of course and negotiated the longer you stay. These places still exist, theyre just getting harder and harder to find ....or having hilton hotels built over them now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom