Looking for some advice on BCD's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

safetygurl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi I am a cold water and warm water diver and I am looking to upgrade my coldwater gear. I am a little on the heavier side and tend to be a little on the floaty side and have been struggling with weight issues, I was diving with a jacket style bcd, full of lead with a weight belt and found this combination was causing air to get trapped in the feet of my drysuit and was getting frustrated.

I decided to try a wing and backplate system this year which I really do like for streamlining purposes, I purchased one that is apparently adjustable but at the end of the strapping i'm finding it still a little snug, and I was able to put weight pouches on it so that I don't have to worry about the weight belt and air trapment.

I am getting a little frustrated still because it just doesn't feel like a comfortable fit and i'm wondering if this is the best system fow someone who is a little bigger in size. Any suggestions for a frustrated chubby diver?

Bigger system? I had a student that was about 6'1 with a 62" (he said so himself) waist. If I had to guess he'd be around 350 lbs, maybe more. He ordered a jacket style BCD and it worked for him. I can't remember what we got for him off the top of my head. Pretty sure it was a Sherwood Avid. He wears a weight belt or two with suspenders and doesn't have a problem.

I have a feeling your BP & W is not adjusted correctly. Does it have a 1 piece (hog) harness or something else? Where is it feeling snug, the shoulders or the waist? Was it adjusted with you wearing the drysuit and the undergarments you use?

I have a feeling your BP & W is not adjusted correctly. Does it have a 1 piece (hog) harness or something else? Where is it feeling snug, the shoulders or the waist? Was it adjusted with you wearing the drysuit and the undergarments you use?

It is a Tecline system the harness is in 2 pieces one for the shoulders (and they are at the longest they can go) and the waist i seperate. The shoulders are the snug part I can't stretch across my chest and reach my drysuit inflator valve while wearing the harness, it comes with D-rings that are supposed to be at breast/armpit height and are sitting almost on top of my shoulders. We did size it as big as we could in the pool with the drysuit and underwear in place (was very uncomfortable). I am just thinking this particular system does not go big enough to accomodate or maybe these systems aren't ideal for larger divers (especially with boobs...LOL).

Can you provide a link to the system? It sounds as if you have a tech wannabe system. Not a true backplate and wing style. Even with a so called comfort harness you can take the thing apart and change the webbing. Does this system have padding on the shoulder straps and quick releases? I can't seem to find anything like what you are describing on a Google search. What I have come up with so far is Tecline BPW's that have one piece harnesses but with too many d rings and padding that should be removed.

Is it the tecline semi-tec? Tecline Semi-tec vinge Explorer | Divestore Gylte Dykkersenter AS i Drøbak Dykk Mer Betal Mindre! ( I know the link i sin Norwegian.. it was just the only place I knew where to find it)

If it is... then I suggest you talk to someone about fitting you a true BPW system. I know Jim above me probably can help you in that department.
Personally I am 5"11, and pearshaped with a short back. So no vest system could fit me.
I got a Halcyon BPW system, got it fitted at the store, and have never looked back. However.. You NEED to get a backplate with a continous webbing to be able to get the perfect fit. (Oh.. and DONT forget the crotch-strap) Sounds and looks uncomfortable... but it really isnt!

OP -- is this the system? Harness TecLine Comfort (adjustable) incl. 3mm SS backplate - Tecline

If so, I hate to tell you but you should probably get rid of the harness and just use a standard one-piece webbing system. This will allow you to adjust the shoulder straps to your size. In addition, you will be able to move the D-rings to wherever you want them. IF you can salvage the D-rings from your current harness (that is, if they aren't sewn in or perhaps, even if they are) then the additional cost for the new webbing should be small (under $25).

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear but it will be much better for you.

Is it the tecline semi-tec? Tecline Semi-tec vinge Explorer | Divestore Gylte Dykkersenter AS i Drøbak Dykk Mer Betal Mindre! ( I know the link i sin Norwegian.. it was just the only place I knew where to find it)

If it is... then I suggest you talk to someone about fitting you a true BPW system. I know Jim above me probably can help you in that department.
Personally I am 5"11, and pearshaped with a short back. So no vest system could fit me.
I got a Halcyon BPW system, got it fitted at the store, and have never looked back. However.. You NEED to get a backplate with a continous webbing to be able to get the perfect fit. (Oh.. and DONT forget the crotch-strap) Sounds and looks uncomfortable... but it really isnt!

Thanks for the link. If that's it then yeah, she needs to take it back or sell it. Looks like it has a std plate buried in that mess though, so she may be able to salvage some of it. I do in fact keep extra long webbing in stock for larger divers so that I can get them set up with a proper harness. What that thing is would be something I'd likely not even allow in my Intro to Tech or Advanced Level class. Way too complicated and limited in function and fit.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2013 at 11:53 AM ----------

OP -- is this the system? Harness TecLine Comfort (adjustable) incl. 3mm SS backplate - Tecline

If so, I hate to tell you but you should probably get rid of the harness and just use a standard one-piece webbing system. This will allow you to adjust the shoulder straps to your size. In addition, you will be able to move the D-rings to wherever you want them. IF you can salvage the D-rings from your current harness (that is, if they aren't sewn in or perhaps, even if they are) then the additional cost for the new webbing should be small (under $25).

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear but it will be much better for you.

Peter, check out the one Imla linked to. Sounds more like what she has with the two piece harness system and d rings stuck up on her shoulders.

The huge advantage of a backplate system for larger divers is that, if you use the single piece of continuous webbing, you can make the harness any size you want. As soon as you break the harness up into pieces, you lose that capacity.

If you have a standard backplate, all you have to do is look at Reef Scuba or Northwest Scuba Supply and buy 12 or 14 feet of 2" nylon webbing, and you can make a harness that will fit YOU.

Back
Top Bottom