We might stop diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People underestimate complexity all the time. A drysuit, while not complex at first look, has a number of behaviours that are non-intuitive, like venting when you just start feeling light, not when you notice you're "going up" and adding air as you descend, because movement is extremely difficult and limited when shrink wrapped.

BC lift is another one, especially on this board, I see people all the time calculating their requirements and buying a wing that's exactly just as much as they need, without ever thinking they might need more in an emergency, or realizing that the stated lift capacity is often not really available.
I still think that the PADI drysuit course is way too short and needs to be beefed up. I'd love to take the GUE drysuit course sometime and if I ever live where I don't have to travel to an instructor,I plan to.

You could take my drysuit course. Just fly me down to Arizona. That way you would not have to travel or move at all. We'd need about 4 hours of classroom, 4-6 hours in a pool, and 4 good long dives.

Reactions: D_B
We have motorcycles and my husband has always said "if for some reason I don't feel it's a good day to ride, we don't ride". If you feel you've reached the point where the joy of diving is eclipsed by your concern for your safety then maybe you have your decision. I do want to point out the positives that you mentioned - that you are motivated to be in better shape for diving and that diving has drawn you and your wife closer as you share your experiences. If you choose to stop diving it would be great to find a hobby/sport that will do those things for you.

many many good and thoughtful posts here

I think that your thought about waiting for a while , and on getting more training, before making a final decision is a good one ... take time , you have plenty of it to make your decision

I know that passing a course that pushes me into finding that I can do more than I thought is quite rewarding mentally, and goes towards being a safer diver .. Rescue ranked high on that list, and surprisingly, my Drysuit course did too

Many of us are rethinking how/what/when due to Quero's death , I know I am
I thank you for posting

Maybe the way to go would be with new rules like your 10' vis limit. Staying shallow would be another way to go, no dives over 60' for example. With an 80 cu/ft tank you will run low on air diving above 60' before you can be down long enough to need to decompress. Lose the computer and anything else needed for more involved dives. Keep it simple, shallow and as foolproof as possible. About 95% of the life in the sea exists in the first 33' and you have the most light along with the best visibility. This only needs to be as complicated and dangerous as you choose to make it.

Rich I agree except most dive ops today require computers. If the computer makes you break your dive plan maybe it is time you hang up your fins.

Too many posts to read, so I may be speaking out of turn.

Ever notice how many automobile fatalities there are each year?

Are you going to stop driving?

If you are too frightened to dive you should stop. What you believe about it is very important. We don't know by the numbers how risky it is. You as a diver have to decide for yourself. There is some risk in every great thing we do. I'm glad at this point fear didn't stop me from diving. You may just want to go slow for a time and make conservative dives until you feel better. Adventure-Ocean

Too many posts to read, so I may be speaking out of turn.

Ever notice how many automobile fatalities there are each year?

Are you going to stop driving?

This was brought up in post #2. lol

If you are too frightened to dive you should stop.

Hit the nail on the head with that one. Scared? Don't do it. End of story. To make a public testament about it in the hopes someone will change your mind about it is even more dangerous should you choose to change your mind and then have a panic attack while underwater.

Back
Top Bottom