Does Loss of weight reduce buoyancy ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From personal experience ...

In the last 2 years I have dropped about 100 lbs. (Yes, 100!) My weighting hasn't changed much. maybe a pound or two.

I contribute the small change to the following:

- I'm a lot smaller than I was, therefore less displacement, ...

- I did it mainly through diet. Not a big (if any) increase in muscle. (In fact, I may have lost some - the gear seems heavier now)

- I needed to add another undergarment as I was getting cold easier (Very thin merino wool top)

- I use a whites fusion which has remained snug despite the significant change in body size. (If you get a smaller wetsuit, you won't need as much to sink it)

My drysuit and other gear has not changed at all. no new sizes, or set-ups.

I have no scientific proof, but everything considered, it all evened out (more or less). YMMV

Last edited:
After years of being around 210 pounds, I have spent the last 8 months getting down to a lean fit 170 pounds. Previously I have used 9 pounds of lead on my belt to sink with my full suit.
Will I find any difference in weight required on my belt,and if so, any idea how many pounds.
Or is it an old fable without scientific basis, that says body fat makes people more positively buoyant.

Thanks

The big question that everyone is addressing is body fat, the reality is this could be argued all day. If you lose 40 lbs (congradutations) your exposure suit will likely have changed too. That alone warrents a weight check. The size/ thickness of your wetsuit will dictate your weight as much as/ more than your BMI. Enjoy the sensation of having to go through gear changes because you did something that is pretty hard to do. And once you get everything squared it will give you a motivation to stay on track

Obviously there will be two answers, one for fresh water and one for salt. But outside of that. There are two variables that significantly alter the answer. Fat is only one. Muscle is the other.
If you "only" lost fat (which doesn't always happen) then due to the density change in your body you would be less buoyant, hence wear less weight.
If you "Also" added some muscle, then that would increase the negativity even more.
I know someone who lost 35lbs on the Atkins diet (no significant muscle mass added) and he says he dropped about 5 lbs of weight.
Over the years he gained it back. Over the past year and a half he lost 30lbs of that weight, but this time living in the gym and eating less. He is lifting much more weight, (he's pretty cut now).
And he says he dropped 8lbs wearing the exact same gear.
This tells me that adding the muscle mass had a slightly greater impact than simply losing the fat. But both were significant.
The short answer to your question is "YES" you will wear less weight. (4lbs - 10lbs? only you will know)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom