109 getting a new lease on life after 30+ years dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

109 = unbalanced
156 = balanced
Same body, it's very hard to tell which which from the outside; you can upgrade from 109 to 156.

109 = unbalanced
156 = balanced
Same body, it's very hard to tell which which from the outside; you can upgrade from 109 to 156.
Oh cool, so I have both.
I got a 109BA (or 156) w/ MK5 from Couv and I got another 109 plain adjustable as an octo from another local dive buddy so I'm set.

You can remove the LP hose from the 109 and look down the volcano orifice. It is not hard to see if there is a hole on the surface of the rubber seat (you may need a flash light to illuminate inside).

If it has a small hole on the seat it is balanced. If there is no hole on the seat surface, it is not balanced.

I prefer a Phoenix Nozzle in a DA body to supply my 109, but that's just me. :D

Ditto, only I have a Cyclone/HPR in my DA body. The Phoenix should be coming soon for the other one!

Been diving with the same set of Scuba Pro regulators since 1977/78. It was originally a Mk 6 pneumatic 1st stage I later had "upgraded" to a Mk 5 in the mid 80's. I have since had the piston upgrade, and pretty much every thing else I can do too it done. My second stage regs are a 109 which I have completely upgraded basically too a 156, and a 108 for my octopus. They have never let me down, and at 63 I will probably never use anything else.

I just stumbled across this thread. If the OP's boss still needs some MK5s, I have 7-8 of them that I should sell. I think 5 are DIN. I also have some 109 seconds and some others.

Anyone interested, let me know.

I have since had the piston upgrade, and pretty much every thing else I can do too it done.

I know the yoke and turrent has upgrades but I did not know the piston did. What was the difference?

I know the yoke and turrent has upgrades but I did not know the piston did. What was the difference?

The "upgraded piston has a larger diameter shaft just below the piston head. Earlier version was about 1/4th inch OD for the full length of the shaft with just a slight increase in diameter in the last half inch. The newer version that slight increase in diameter goes all the way to 1/2 inch diameter. I have seen somewhere the suggestion that it was to limit piston travel but I don't think that makes any sense. I suspect it was the provide more of a heat sink to reduce susceptibility to freezing. While I do have a couple "upgraded" pistons in my spares I believe all the Mk6/7s I am using have the older version. But I am a warm water wimp.

I prefer a Phoenix Nozzle in a DA body to supply my 109, but that's just me. :D

Hmmmmmm.

N

I have a 109 that was upgraded a long time ago to Balanced Adjustable, so I guess that makes it a 156? Anyway, a few years ago, I took it to my LDS for service. The tech took it apart, and then told me that the poppet is no longer available, so he returned the disassembled reg in a baggie, and charged me for his time. (Grrrrrr) Can anyone tell me where I can get this reg serviced?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom