attempt a world record ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomfcrist

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok, so I really have no desire to be in the record books as far as ego goes, but am pondering it as a fundraiser. I'd like to attempt the world record longest saltwater/open water/open circut scuba dive... Figuring a 72 hour runtime.

The money raised will benefit a research organization that is researching a cure for my daughters neurological condition called CDKL5.

What are the chances of getting a livaboard to donate their time in the off season to accomplish this? I'm thinking Florida or something tropical.

Thoughts?

Dry or Wet?

Fixed point or doing a swim for the whole time?

depth?

What is the current record?

Drysuit

Both

40' max

48hrs 9 min 17 sec

Good luck. That is a lot of time down on OC.....

Hope you get a good support crew.... I remember listening on Scuba Radio when they interviewed the current record holder during his dive. It took a lot out of him....

You will need a battery powered heating vest to keep you warm. It had better to be disconnectable, would it fail in "full power mode".

You will also need a full face mask, as with that you can sleep.
And chat.

Don't even think that you brain would remain fully operable for 72hrs without some sleep. Sleep you will. Want it or not.

Don't forget to bring some drink in your Camel bag, and some food (bananas are good), and something to read. A pee valve might be on your wish list, too.

Yeah subcooled, I have already decided on most of that. Camel back for hydration and space food for nutrition. FFM would be a must for sleeping obviously, and I have identified a few members of my support crew to include a medical professional. Just need a boat and a lot of media support .

I figure doing the donations based on either flat rate or hourly...whichever the donors prefer.

What an original idea. This was just done something like a month ago. And why the liveaboard. The people that just did it were just off shore so it was easier for all the people helping. Why not do something that wasn't just done a month ago?

EDIT: 72 hours underwater is a huge challenge. I would call anyone that tries that brave and completely out of his mind (in a good way). Not to mention giving the money to charity. I hope the OP gets it done.

Ps: my tip take more then 1 tank with you (unless you have gills ofcourse)

Jord

Last edited:
Be prepared for a good amount of recovery, IV fluids, etc, for a while after the dive. As someone mentioned earlier, it will take a lot out of you physically regardless of fixed point or moving.

I'd stay as dry as possible. Drysuit, dry gloves, FFM for at least parts of the dive. I would also do a mix of swimming and sitting. You'll want at least two big slates, one for you to use and the other to be cleaned off for you to use later. If you get an FFM (which you should) then I recommend splurging for the comms unit as well. You'll want a heating vest with IO connector for recharging mid-dive. You'll want a few good lights, even if they're on the boat pointing down.

I would recommend doing it somewhere near a recompression chamber, I recommend informing them of your stunt beforehand, and I recommend you calling DAN a good, long while before hand. I think DAN might have some good insights. Also, purchase DAN insurance. The nicest one there is. Heck, buy two if they'll let you :D . Also, doing a combination of nitrox and air isn't a bad idea. Switching between higher O2 percentages for reduced nitrogen ongassing, and then as low of O2 as you can go (maybe He?) just to reduce O2 accumulation.

For entertainment, there are underwater iPhone cases that can be used for movies. Also, iPod shuffles can be had for cheap that have been waterproofed to a good depth and designed for this kinda thing (sort of).

I might recommend setting up some "challenges"....like swimming through loops. Playing chess/checkers with someone. Maybe a speargun and some targets for target practice. You're going to be CRAZY bored for 72 hours.

Logistics: I did some rough calculations, and you're going to need somewhere near 7000 ft3 of gas for those 72 hours. I mean, that's 110 AL80's breathed from 3000psi to 500psi. I recommend sidemount for those logistics, and having your support crew clipping and unclipping the tanks. That or doubles, and just switching between bcd's.....which I feel like would be taxing. Have you run the calculations as far as deco requirements and CNS stuff goes? EAN32 gives you deco of like 9 hours according to DecoPlanner. EAN36 gives you no deco, but means your CNS% will be pushing 1000%. What are your feelings on this kind of logistics?

Most importantly: If you do this, PM me about diving support for you. I would be proud to volunteer time and gear for prep and/or the real dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom