Accident on Spiegel Grove today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did someone put a curse on the Spiegel? That's 2 incidents in a week's time. I know it can be a difficult dive depending on the conditions -- but still

i wonder if they were diving air or nitrox

Spiegel is fine - during the same time a few 100 people (including myself) dove it without incident. Sometimes bad things happen. Occasionally with a short interval. I am sure there were other incidents during the same general period of time in Fl. Keys.
did someone put a curse on the Spiegel? That's 2 incidents in a week's time. I know it can be a difficult dive depending on the conditions -- but still i wonder if they were diving air or nitrox

How was the current that day? Some days the Spiegel can be a lot of exertion.

Also would be interested to know which dive computer(s) they used. Dove the Speigel with a DM. On the second dive her computer had NDL left and I was running out with the Suunto. I departed a tad early for the ascent line and my Suunto still had me with a 10 minute extra stop on the way up.

NDL varies a lot with the computer especially on second deep dives. On a first deep dive my Aeris and my Suunto will differ only a few minutes. On a second deep dive the Aeris can show up to 15 minutes more NDL at some depths.

Point is that it is not just a question of riding the NDL but what kind of computer you are reading the NDL from. I will confess to riding the NDL sometimes with my Suunto. I never ride the Aeris.

tell me more about this issue with the Aeris showing more NDL since 15 min is a significant amount of time --- which algorithm are you using on the Aeris? i haven't noticed it since all i have is my Aeris and i want to avoid possible issues if i can.

The issue is with the Suunto. It is generally much more conservative than Oceanic/Aeris/Hollis in my experience.

I have an Aeris NX1 that is more conservative than my Oceanic and Uwatec computers.

Sometimes it is also a matter of settings. I have a Hollis DG03 and and Aeris Elite T3 for backup. Both read from the same transmitter and in most respects are absolutely identical...but when I first got the Hollis, I got very different responses for the first two dives until I figured out the degree of conservativism settings were different. I recall a deco stop where the Aeris said I had 2 minutes while the Hollis said 12 minutes remaining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom