Key Largo recommendations wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RamblinManta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I plan to ask this same question in the regional forum that covers the Keys, but I wanted to know if any of you had any recommendations for a dive shop on Key Largo. I'll be staying in Tavernier... Diving in May.

Thanks in advance.

Silent World if you like smaller boats. Rainbow Reef if you like larger ones. Florida Keys Dive Center is also good, just over the bridge on Islamorada. They're a "big boat" op.

Here's my trip report from diving with Rainbow Reef Dive Center is late September.

Don't let the 'big boat' thing throw you; yeah, you may see a number of people on the boat, but when I was there, it'd be something like this...

An instructor with IDC students would take his crew to go do their thing.

We 'dive tourists' would split into 2 groups, each with its own dive guide. So, our little group might be 4 to 6 divers following a guide?

Here's a big question; how many dives do you want to do a day? One 2-tank trip, or 2 2-tank trips?

Richard.

I got back from key largo yesterday and went on 7 dives with rainbow reef and could not have had a better experience. I highly recommend them.

I got back from key largo yesterday and went on 7 dives with rainbow reef and could not have had a better experience. I highly recommend them.

Hope to read a more detailed trip report. :)

I'm always happy to hear when local dive op earns your repeat business.

Happy Diving!
Elena

I have only dove with Horizon, so it is hard to say they are better than any other dive shop; but I have only dove with Horizon because they are a really decent dive operation.

They have onsite gear storage if you are diving multiple days: great to not have a wetsuit dripping all over your accommodations. If I remember correctly they offer free air fills, and Nitrox fills are very affordable.

Finally, I like this dive operation since they let you plan your dive, then dive...I have heard that some other Key Largo dive operations pretty much treat most divers like new divers and micro-manage a bit. Never had this experience with Horizon.

If I remember correctly they offer free air fills, and Nitrox fills are very affordable.

Good point there. Rainbow Reef that I recommended will not fill nitrox. They do rent tanks full of nitrox. Silent world fills nitrox but it was the most expensive nitrox fills I've ever had. I think around 20 bucks a tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom