Vote - BCD or Exposure Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MelC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Heading to Mozambique (Benguerra, one of the Bazaruto archipelago islands) shortly for part of a multi purpose vacation. Will be diving 3 days. Water looks on the cool side of warm this time of year 75-80. Only allowed 20kg for ALL luggage. Since my usual tropical dive kit with all accessories (carry bags etc.) typically weighs almost that alone without considering additional exposure suit requirements so I don't get too cold, I am having to make some hard decisions. After culling all non-essentials I am left with a choice between bringing BCD or wetsuit(s) in order to stay on or under the requirement. My current leaning is taking the bcd because the life saving equipment aspect seems more important than the ick factor of wearing a rental wetsuit, additionally I don't have a full 5mm anyway which is what I think I would want so would need multiple layers to create same level of warmth (have confirmed dive op has 5mm full wetsuits). Obviously the bcd (transpac with travel wing) weighs more than the exposure suit (although probably not by much) and right now (with bcd in and wetsuit out) I am at 20kg exactly on my travel scale with a few adjustments I could make to give myself a little buffer. I have already ditched the obvious protective bags and mesh carry bags etc. that I would normally bring. So on the assumption that it has to be one or the other which would you choose?

I only need to consider this leg of the trip as will switch out dive gear for other clothes etc. on later legs and store the remainder.

I'd vote wetsuit, personally. I don't know anyone who pees in a BCD and they are less of an issue when ill-fitted than a wetsuit is in my opinion. I can dive reasonably comfortably in a not-so-great fitting BCD, but if my wetsuit doesn't fit properly, I WILL be miserable.

EDIT: You seem less concerned with the ick factor but warmth is my most important "enjoyment" concern on a dive when it comes to equipment. Everything else I can handle reasonably well. Without a 5mm suit you could take a 3mm and wear another on top, or take a skin and your BCD and rent a suit...

I guess I'm not much help, am I?

I would vote wetsuit cause, I would doubt that they have wetsuits there for someone that is 1.93m.

Jord

I vote wetsuit; I've had no problem fitting into a few brands of rental BCDs. I've had a horrible time finding a properly fitted wetsuit rental.

Is the operator you are renting from one you've heard good recommendations about- if they are even slightly sketchy, I'd switch the recommendation, because you can't really have a malfunctioning wetsuit, but you can have a malfunctioning BCD...

There's always the option of packing the BCD and wearing the wetsuit on the plane- they don't limit the number of clothes you can wear... of course- that is going to be one long hot flight :) (Do make sure you wear your heaviest shoes/jeans on the plane- that might allow you to pick up a couple of ounces or so in the luggage.)

I'm going to go against the flow and vote BCD.

I see you are diving a Transpac and wing setup, I do the same - you won't find anything like this for rental, so my view would be that I would rather dive comfortable knowing my buoyancy and trim were fine and my safety assured.

I find that my Transpac holds me very different from any of my BCD's or those I have borrowed.

I can put up with a rental suit - if you take your suit and get a rental BCD which doesn't hold you like your wing does you might find that the dives are less enjoyable than you would be from having a slightly ill fitting suit. - P

If you are "big" or "small" the decision will most likely be for the wetsuit.

If you are at all concerned about the reliability of the equipment at the rental shop, your decision will be for the BCD.

- Bill

I've heard that divers have worn their BCD onto the plane, thus not part of their baggage (might get scrutinized at security!). I'd bring a body suit, maybe even a shorty at those temps., but that's irrelevant.

You can always get a cheap shorty and a hood, that combined will be plenty in 75-80* water IMO... and weigh less for travel. Just a thought..
I got a cheap shorty from Sams/walmart once for $30, and just use my nice hood when packing light.
I have another buddy that goes cave diving with me sometimes with just his hood, as he doesn't get cold as easily (72* water) and the hood keeps him warm enough (remember in your OW training how much heat is lost through your head)

Bah! I wish I could stay warm at those temps! In 75* water, I wear at least a 4/3 full suit and generally a 5/3 hooded vest as well. Oh to be able to dive without exposure protection...

On weight sensitive trips, the first thing I sacrifice is my fins ( jets, or apollos) , in favor of rentals.

Of course , this won't help if you're using lighter weight fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom