Little Angel Cenote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Guys:

I would like to know how I can dive Little Angel Cenote. Is this a popular dive? Does it require cave/overhead certification or is it open water? Any dive operator recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Captain!
Angelita is 99% open water, but it does have a small OH environment which most guides never go into. It is a bit off the beaten path and not crowded at all, most divers that have experienced it love it. You will not need any overhead training to participate in this dive.

This site is more of a sinkhole than a cavern as there is very little overhead environment. It is among divers' favorites because of its maximum depth of 180 ft/55mt and an incredible phenomenon that occurs at about 100ft/30mt. At that depth, there is a very dense cloud of hydrogen sulfide which looks like chocolate milk. At about 110ft/33mt, you will be below the cloud in crystal clear salt water but there will be no sunlight since it is absorbed completely by the cloud. The experience is very unique. This dive is suitable for advanced divers. We recommend that you combine this dive with Grand Cenote or Calavera.

Let me know when you are interested in going so I can help you organize it.

Hope this helps!

Karla

Thanks so much Karla. This is indeed very helpful. I will surely get in touch with you to organize this.

Many thanks for your help.

Isn't there also a cenote on Cozumel called Angelita? I dove a cenote with German Yanez a few years back, and my memory is that that is what it was called. It had almost no open water basin, and very little cavern, so it seemed to me to be pretty much a cave dive.

Angelita -- best known for its hydrogen sulfate layer -- is south of Tulum. It's a lovely area and the pool is a jungle spa -- very peaceful. The cenote itself has sheer walls and lots of vegetative matter. Watch your computer as you can go very deep here without realizing it.

If you can put together a trip with Angelita and a cenote that has limestone formations, you will have a nice, varied day.

There is a cenote on Cozumel called Aerolito. Close but way different!

Thanks, Deborah. I had the name wrong -- I'm sure it was Aerolito I dove with German.

Hi Captain!
Hope all is well! Wondering if you got a chance to dive Angelita?

No. I have not been there yet. I have your contact info here so before I head out I will send you a pm. Thanks so much for your help. Appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom