Scubapro MK25/S600 vs. MK25/G250HP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The purge cover is a two part affair with the S600 and has more potential to be mis-assembled underwater than a G250.

But I agree with the other Larry on questioning the idea of some divers taking a second stage apart underwater. It may make sense for a properly trained diver in a cave sitting on the bottom with little or no water flow, but for most divers in open water? I supect many people who select a reg for this reason do it for the cool factor, and to say they have the capability regardless of whether they will ever have a need for that capability or not. At least I hope so.

In my experience, it can be hard to get the diaphragm to seat properly if it is wet, let alone underwater, and on the rare ocassions where I have gotten something in a second stage, it usually much easier to shake it out the same hole it entered.

Another option is to leave the LP hose fitting finger tight to facilitate swapping a non functioning second stage on one stage bottle with a functioning second stage on another.

I have also heard the argument about a smaller second stage creating less jaw fatigue, but it is not the size that counts in the water but rather the bouyancy traits and size is only one small factor in that equation.

There are also far bigger villans responsible for jaw fatigue than the weight/size/bouyancy of the second stage. Mouthpiece design and fit is much more important as is having an LP hose of the proper lenght. A hose that is too long or too short will push or pull and cause much more strain than the second stage itself.

Larry

We just had some customers come in and get a few of the 250's and when I asked why they wanted that over the 600, they told me that the 250 was easier to open up under water... Hhmmmm, and this was coming from folks I wouldn't let open up my reg on land... :wink:

The idea for them was if a diaphragm get's pinched, or something gets in it, they can open it and clean it out easier... so it was 250's for them.

I totally agree. You should also carry a scalpel and sutures in the BC pocket, in case you have to do an emergency appendectomy underwater.

I totally agree. You should also carry a scalpel and sutures in the BC pocket, in case you have to do an emergency appendectomy underwater.

Funny, I actually do carry a disposable scalpel as a backup knife, but only because it's small, sharp and cheap.

Still, it's good to read one of DA Aquamaster's posts again. That guy really knows regulators.

What happened to him? I haven't seen him post in a while. I hope he is ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom