First camera, canon or olympus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tony.dodunski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,
Over the last couple of months I've been watching, reading different boards and posts, trying to plan the best short and long term, cost effective entry into underwater photography.
I like CFWA shots, nice shots of sharks and snakes, and id like to put together a few little videos of different places ive dived so to a degree video quality is also important. I will shoot a few nice nudis now and again, but macro isn't my main goal.
Im also on a fairly tight budget, and i travel a lot so i don't fancy lugging expensive and big camera gear through places like asia and mexico.

That all said, I've been searching through used classifieds as i think its the most cost effective way to get good gear and great prices, and I've narrowed it down to the e-pm1 or searching for a g12 or similar.

Id like a few peoples ideas on which i could grow with the most, which best suit my needs, and which would likely be the most cost effective!
At the moment i think the pen mini, theres one for 400 listed in the classifieds at the moment. Though it has less wide angle options without spending big and going for the panasonic 8mm, there looks to be domes available that work with the kit lens until money does start growing on trees, and i can grow my system a little more. It also wins points for its topside capabilities.

Any info and ideas will be greatly appreciated, and id really like to hear from anybody with a little experience using video on either of them as I couldn't really find a great deal.

Canon all the way! Canon rules the roost when it comes to high-end compacts. Easy to use in manual mode, shoots RAW, great Canon color. More important than the camera will be shooting in manual and using external strobes. I've been very happy with my Canon S100 over the past 20 months and if you have any doubts about the pics you can get with it, check out my photos in the link below. So get the S120 or G16. They are basically the same, but the S series is more compact.

I have G10 and G12 and have been using them for several years in Canon housings. I am a basic gear photographer. I have no complaints with either camera. I also use a Sea & Sea strobe.
Keep in mind that you must get use to changing settings underwater. It's all about practice and more practice.
RAW capability is a must for non-strobe shots.
The Olympus camera you are considering is a "four thirds" category as it has changeable lenses so it cannot be compared equally to the Canon G series cameras.

G16 and s120 are well out of my price range. I have no doubt about the photo quality of the older models, iv look at a tonne of photos over the last few months so im not worried about me ever getting too good for it!
I also understand the 4/3s and compact differences, and will be shooting in manual and raw. Photography isn't completely new to me. The changable lenses appealed to me, for topside use further down the track when my lens collection does grow.

sticking to compacts, is the s series and its 24mm lens a better option for what id like to do?

You can still find the closeout deal on the pen EPM-1 with housing for $500.

The Olympus 4/3rds cameras, in an Olympus housing, are easily the best value in underwater photography.

Housing.jpg

Even a new model E-PL5, with a lens, and with the housing, is only $1300 or so. Compare that with the cost for a housing alone for any other 4/3 camera, or, the cost for a compact with a housing, lens mount, and wet lens for macro.

All the best, James

I'd go with the Olympus 4/3rds camera. I upgraded to the E-Pl1 from the Canon S95 and really appreciated the much reduced shutter lag. Definitely more room to grow with the Olympus.

James

Im well aware of the pm1 deal. Its what first opened my eyes to mirrorless options. Theres currently one in the clssifieds down to 400, been there since march.

Jameseg, having owned both id like to know it you find anything that seperates them in video?
Rob, i love your juvinel wolf eel! Id like to hear a little more on ur setup,at which lenses you use or prefer.

Like i said, as a traveller a new g16, s120 or 1500 for a pl5 and housing is well out of my bidget, adding wide lenses (macro isnt realy my thing) and strobes eaaily starts getting up into the thousands, which for me is doving another 4 countries, and seeing the world for another 3months.
I think seeing people still enjoying there S90s and G9s as testiment to there lifespan, so i have no problem buying used.

Seems i cant realy go wrong with either? How do people like there canons topside?

Hey Tony,

I'm still getting great shots with the S100 although I am in the process of switching to a mirrorless (EOS M). But if your budget is tight, something second-hand like the S100 should do you well. I used to have dual SeaLife strobes (leftover from my first setup), but now I have dual Sea & Sea strobes (a YS-01 and a YS-02)

For macro, I use the Inon UCL 165AD. It has 2 elements of 3 diopters each. Very convenient to use. I use 1 flip for say anything smaller than about 4 cm, and both flips for subjects smaller than 1 cm,

For wide-angle I use the UWL-04 28 mm. Works quite well for photographing bigger stuff, like people, sharks, reef scenes.

I can't really speak to the Oly, but if you look at Facebook groups that share photos (i.e.Underwater macro photographers), you will notice a lot of really good shots coming from the compact Canons. Theoretically the Oly should give higher quality shots because it has a bigger sensor, but the ease of use of the compact Canons is certainly worth considering.

I felt I had maxxed out what the Canon S100 could do, which is why I decided to upgrade to the canon mirrorless, but after a handful of dives, I haven't yet been able to outdo what I could do with the Canon S100. In fact, I missed a lot of shots because of focusing problems and limitations of a fixed focal length.

tony.dodunski I don't use my G10 or G12 topside simply because they don't have enough optical zoom capability. I use a Canon SX40HS with 25X Zoom and love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom