My wife has a problems with leaking masks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It bothers me to agree with Jim. But my wife is also petite and had mask leak problems until I picked up an inexpensive USD kids mask/snorkel set. The kids mask fits great without any leaks. I think the set was $25 at Sports Authority and the mask seems to be standard USD/Aqualung quality. Ignore all the expensive dive shop advice about adult masks that are made for smaller faces.

There is this one. It has gotten good reviews though I have no experience with it:

Shop Online

N

I will agree with the post about smiling. I know a guy who bought three different masks, too, until he realized that his facial movements during the dive were breaking the seal. Once he learned to keep a true "poker face" while diving, he realized that all three of the masks worked fine.

yes, kinda of expensive. but in cold water it keeps less facial skin exposed. I know some cold water divers up here in Michigan that wont dive without a full face mask anymore. (especially ice diving) but even in the great lakes a 90 ft deep wreck in the summer could be 50 degree water. Most of them prefer the Posieden or the OTS. I haven't heard much reviews nor know anyone who has tried the ocean reef ones.

Among her many other problems in life, most of which stem from her choice of husband, my wife always has mask leaks when diving.

It irritates her and that agitates me.

She is a petite lady with a small face. She tries the shop recommended face-fit tests and everything appears to seal well when she breathes in with the mask sitting on her face in the shop. However, once in the water she has a constant leak and is continually clearing her mask.

She is now on her third mask- they have all been silicone material and reputable brands- Cressi, Scuba Pro and Oceanic.

Any ideas from more experienced divers who might have experienced similar? Her hairline does come close to the edge of the mask, but we usually manage to clear the periphery of the mask from any hair. However, we were thinking that maybe it was worth diving with a swimming cap. Anyone ever tried this? Any chance of it working?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Please take a look at our Minimus ("mini") mask. It has proven to be EXTREMELY well received by our customers. We sell all our gear "direct" (on-line). Some people will say you have to try on a mask, we agree. Try out mask, if you don't love it we will accept a return of the mask.

The mini mask fits a wide variety of faces and has extremely good visibility and is comfortable. Give it a try!

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mmm.htm

MMM-2.jpg

My guess is that she has the strap too tight. This is a common reaction that people have to a leaky mask. They assume the mask leaks because it's too loose, they tighten it, it keeps leaking, they tighten it more.

The problem is, tightening the mask cause the skirt to deform and not sit on the face properly.

The strap is only there to keep your mask from getting lost. It is not intended to crank the mask down onto your face.

Try loosening it a bit.

Many mask leaks are caused by the mask being too tight...try loosening the mask strap a little bit.

+1

I show students how loose my mask is by pulling it away from my face. I can easily pull my mask 5" from my face. Many students will tighten the mask MORE when it leaks. Sometimes it helps to loosen it because tightening it will deform the mask and make it leak.

Along with the mask maybe being a little too tight, she might also be biting down on the mouthpiece a little too hard which will let water in around the nose and mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to have problem with leaking masks, I bought a warm water hoodie and walla the leaking has stopped. Don't understand why and I really don't care the problem is gone.

Going on a dive trip soon and ordered a shrek hood, no leaks while looking good lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom