Florida - Sidemount - Tek - Cave- Training Advice - Instructors/ Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rolobingo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone!

Not sure if this is the best place to post, inquire, but here goes.

I live in the Northeast. Looking to do about 8-10 consecutive days of diving/ training this winter. I'm thinking Florida. Cheap domestic airfare, and i have friends + family there.

I would like to learn Sidemount. Also do a Deep Dive Course, possibly advanced eanx, cavern, intro cave, or a real wreck course (more than just how to swim around them).

I'm leaning towards doing this in fresh water. Less chance of having the schedule interrupted by weather or other factors. I also find that classes taken at a fresh water sites keep a more effective and comfortable pace. That said I wont rule out the ocean. Obviously when i wrote cavern, cave, wreck, that's up in the air.

Sidemount is the main goal. Id like to get as much from this as possible, meaning i want a really good instructor, like one who has been teaching SM for some time.

Advanced Nitrox is another biggie on my list of prereques to cave/ tek.

Beyond that, my immediate goals are listed above.

My ideal Trip would be; Sidemount, cavern, EANX99, Intro to Cave. All done SM.

Can anyone recommend an instructor and or dive op? Or have any other ideas?

Cost is not as big a consideration as quality instruction. Also, im not dead set on FL, but continental US would help me spend $ on quality training not Jet A-1...

Thanks for Looking!

I did my Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procs/Helitrox with Denise at Dayo Scuba near Orlando. At least one of the other students in the class was in sidemount. If you're willing to travel to Mexico, Protec in Playa del Carmen would be my first choice, and the logistics work out well for someone traveling alone.

Robert Neto, here on SB as Aquaholic, does sm, cavern etc. Great teacher. He's in the Mariana Florida area.

Actually Rob Neto is Dive-aholic on most of the boards

Robert Neto, here on SB as Aquaholic, does sm, cavern etc. Great teacher. He's in the Mariana Florida area.

As mentioned, I do offer all of the courses you mentioned and more (thank you all for the recommendation!). That being said, I would make some revisions to your planned progression. I don't teach decompression diving in quarries or lakes. I prefer to have a more realistic environment for those dives. Contact me if you're interested in more information - chipoladivers@gmail.com

not Jet A-1...
Why not "Jet A-1" training"? If you are going to do something where your risk factors go up,and your equipment and skill is your life support,then learn from the best,and pay for the best. Do your homework,not on forums where most people have just first hand personal experience of one instructor,but make calls and ask questions. There isn't an Angie's list for tech instructors,but where people won't say anything negative on forums due to sometimes having their post deleted,they will say more on a call. Good luck.

+1 On Rob... there are several others in Cave Country who also cover all the bases. If you are unable to fit into Rob's schedule, I travel down from the North to teach during the winter as well. However, looking at the number of dives listed in your profile.

I'd suggest a standalone intro to tech and sidemount clinic rather than jumping into cavern and cave etc.

Anyhow regardless of what route you take, good luck.

Sidemount, Cavern/Intro/Apprentice/Full, Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures.....that's going to be an EXHAUSTING week. You might want to plan a resting day in the middle of all of that, just to give yourself a little time to rest. I did Cavern/Intro and Apprentice/Full in two separate trips, and I was exhausted coming out the other side.

However, give Cave Adventurers a call. I can't recommend Michal Turek enough. Edd's an awesome intructor as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom