Negative Visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-n-Buoyant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:face31: ...somebody send up some smoke signals when Joe's Place has some visibility... guess all that rain has stirred things up. I was out there last weekend and was surprised at how little vis there was, even in some shallows.

I met two divers new to Joe's Place (one from Mississippi) who said they had commonly dived in quarries and were surprised to see everyone there wearing wet suits. They both dove that day in just their trunks, one not even wearing booties with his fins! I hooked up with them (partially for their own safety) and dove several limited dives..... I think they'll bring the neoprene next time.

Hoping for better vis next trip,
B-n-B

ppilot:
Negative visibility? Is that like visibility that is so bad you can see BACK into your head or something?

Neg vis = vis so bad all you see is reruns of your last dive?

I did a dive at the Laurel Lake spillway yesterday. I have been there before and could see 20 feet easily at 90 feet. Yesterday @ 77 feet the viz was about 12 inches. I found a few things but was somewhat surprised at the low viz at that depth and also at how dark it was. Usually there is much more light.

For the quarries we need about two or three weeks of 100 degree all sunshine days to clear up the viz.

cool_hardware52:
Neg vis = vis so bad all you see is reruns of your last dive?

...hadn't given it much thought. Maybe negative vis is vis so bad you wish you had stayed dry.... but that couldn't be it! Diving negative vis is better than not diving....

B-n-B

Big-n-Buoyant:
...hadn't given it much thought. Maybe negative vis is vis so bad you wish you had stayed dry.... but that couldn't be it! Diving negative vis is better than not diving....

B-n-B

It was definately bad there, I just imagine reruns of my last dive and swim with me eyes closed. Heck you cant see anything with them opened until its in your face anyway. I felt like I was diving brackish water in Savannah again. Thats a BAD memory and it has alligators in it. :death2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom