Diving Central Florida coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the 80's there was a charter out of Caniveral that went out to Pelican Flats. lots of BIG lobsters, 10+ lbs. Also a old wreck, I believe it was " City of Vera Cruz", it was covered in Snapper, Bulls and Giant Barracuda. The wreck had a lot of old shot glasses aboard as cargo and we would fan the sand with ping pong paddles looking for them. The cuda's, some at least eight feet, would get right next to you and watch the sand as you fanned. If you stopped the would get right in front of you and stare until you started again. There is some outstanding diving out there, long boat ride great hunting. A good charter would make some bucks with locals

Anyone think there's a market for a dive charter out of Canaveral? I've been doing a ton of diving here in NC and all the wrecks are a long ride, but its all awesome. So I'm kind of used to the long rides

The cuda's, some at least eight feet, would get right next to you and watch the sand as you fanned. If you stopped the would get right in front of you and stare until you started again.

Okay, you gave me an image of being deep, 500 PSI in tank, fanning sand, desperate to head up with an enormous barracuda with big teeth staring me down every time I stop fanning, thinking 'Oh, crap, what now?'

Richard.

The cuda's were cool. We were also spearing fish and they would sit right behind us, now that was a little un nerving but they really didn't bother us. We went out there a lot and they got to know us. These guys were huge, like mini subs with teeth. The lobsters were real big also, you could get in front of them with your buddy on top the ledge and they would take their antennae and push on your mask as you slowly backed up and they would walk right out the hole to be grabbed from above. Biggest we got weighed 21 lbs. Was tough as hell so we leftbthe real big ones alone after that.

Anyone think there's a market for a dive charter out of Canaveral? I've been doing a ton of diving here in NC and all the wrecks are a long ride, but its all awesome. So I'm kind of used to the long rides

Tough one to answer. If you have been diving out of NC, then the conditions are similar when compared to the inshore NC wrecks. Sometimes more of Oregon Inlet type vibe than a Morehead City vibe, especially during the upwellings when temps can drop into the 50s. Like I said, the wrecks are great. And there are some excellent wrecks out in deep water (200-300') we have been diving over the past 10 years that I can't get enough of. As someone else pointed out, the lobstering here rocks compared to farther south, with bigger bugs on average. In any case, I would certainly book some trips with you.
Now for the honest (grim) reality - IMHO. Many of the locals have their own boats, or friends that have their own boats. NE Florida, the Gulf, and other areas around the state are constantly overlooked for FTL and the Keys. Many of the tourists coming through the area are on the Disney itinerary, with only a day or so before or after a cruise. It's getting very difficult to round up divers to do the deeper stuff. Then there is the weather issue. I had my boat over in PC for two summers. One year was really bad, with many, many scrubbed weekends, and the ones we did run on had several marginal days. Suffice it to say it would be very hard to be financially successful strictly running dive charters out of PC.
Anyway, not trying to be a downer, but felt I should give you an honest answer. Thanks for your service - Semper Fidelis!
Cheers,
Mike

The cuda's were cool. We were also spearing fish and they would sit right behind us, now that was a little un nerving but they really didn't bother us. We went out there a lot and they got to know us. These guys were huge, like mini subs with teeth. The lobsters were real big also, you could get in front of them with your buddy on top the ledge and they would take their antennae and push on your mask as you slowly backed up and they would walk right out the hole to be grabbed from above. Biggest we got weighed 21 lbs. Was tough as hell so we leftbthe real big ones alone after that.

21 lbs.. do you have any pictures or proof of that? I am getting the BS flag ready... 13-14 lbs is pretty much the limit to what I have seen...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom