Scuba Diving Magazines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally like Dive Training and Alert Diver.

Adam

I get:

Alert Diver - comes with DAN subscription (including the e-copy)
Dive Training - free at the LDS
Dive News Network (North American Dive News) - Free at the LDS

and when I have points for a free mag subscription, I'll get Sport Diver. It's a decent magazine, but I won't spend money on since it's a PADI publication.

everything else I just surf forums for (SB, CDF, etc)

It is also worth checking out Sport Diver (UK) version. This has a decent 'Tech' chapter in it every other month. Mark Evans is an innovative editor and runs a varied and challenging range of stories.

Also worth reading is DIVER (Canadian version). Featured writers include Michael Menduno.

I love XRay, but then I could be perceived as a touch biased, because I am a staff writer on this magazine. The Editor, Peter Symes, sources stories from all over the world.

After 10 years I still appreciate "Dive Training" because it covers everything from novice to advanced to wrecks and oceanic science.
The only thing it is probably short on is technical diving but that is a smaller niche anyways. Besides there are mags devoted to that.
I also really like "Alert Diver" I get that with my annual DAN subscription.
I also get "Scuba Diver" magazine, it is a quarterly mag, photo rich and the articles are good but it's a bit thin and I have it read well before the next issues is even in print.

* I suppose the only Dive Magazine I actually DO NOT LIKE at all is the PADI "Sport Diver" magazine.
It's hard for me not to get carried away talking bad about it, but the magazine in my opinion has to little to do with diving and is nothing more than a "Save the World" Mag.
Nearly every article talks about saving the oceans, getting involved politically, people are ignorant, get involved , get involved, the world is ending. bla bla bla.
Don't get me wrong, I agree. The reefs have been destroyed and there are many efforts to restore them. the $700K coral farms to reseed the reefs in the Keys is another great effort.
But I didn't hear about that in their magazine. I also am very active in the efforts to clean up our oceans, stop excessive whaling and shark fining. Their Magazine is usually more doom and gloom, and worse of all doesn't discuss scuba diving enough, it's gear, new technologies, new discoveries etc.
Well I'll stop talking about it now,
but in closing I'll just say when I want a dive magazine, I want a dive magazine not a seal hugger magazine, I'll know where to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom