Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dived Ballbuster yesterday. Vis was 50ish, bright and blue. Plenty of nettles from 15-25 ft. There were some 8-10 footers rolling in, so we bagged a second dive. Caught 11 crab in the traps, and man, it was rockin' and rollin' when we picked up the traps. Wind picked up to 20+kts.

Metridium had 10-15ft vis today. A bunch of Sea Nettles. Managed to flood my camera on the dive. I was on the fence about upgrading. I guess I'm off the fence now.

Second dive was a little surgey and waves picked up a bit. Not as fun without a camera.

Just did a dive at the metridium fields and breakwall. Water temp 54, minimal surge until about 20ft depth where there was none. Breakwall vis was about 10-15ft at 50ft. Lots of sea nettles on the way to the metridium field.

How was the vis at Metridium Field? I had a pretty good dive at the wall, but when I went to do Metridiums the vis along the pipe was so meh that I headed back for shore. Amazing how even at the same beach the vis can be so different on each side.

Saw my first cormorant in action, at least! A group of fish I was looking at all of a sudden turned and swam away at full speed, and I turned around expecting a sea lion, or a great white shark (first solo dive so imagination was more on edge) but WHOOSH, find a bird darting towards me. Awesome stuff.

Went to Lobos today.

First dive Middle Reef. Max depth 63feet, computer said 49F but reads 3 to 4F low so add accordingly. There was a swell building through the day stirring up sand. Vis was about 15ft where we dropped in the sand channel but improved to 25-30 feet as we got into more rocky terrain. Not a lot of big fish, but lovely reef. (My first serious visit to Middle Reef. Buddy is BAUE so I asked her to show me someplace new.)

Kicking out we got the impression the vis might be better in the cove and put that theory to the test. For our second dive we dropped near the ramp and headed cross cove toward Coal Chute. The surge had worsened so the vis was only 10-15 in the sandy areas but improved to maybe 20ft when we got into the rocky reef at the far side of the cove.

We never quite found the cave, but didn't try hard figuring the surge was too much anyway. Saw more big fish on the second dive, especially when we got into the rocky bits. There was a big ling in a hole that I flushed out by sticking my arm in an opening near his tail and fanning water at him. We saw a big cabazon while crossing the cove and encountered lots of inquisitive rock fish. Were hoping to see a Leopard shark (Raftingtigger had reported one) but had to settle for a nice ray (I'll have to review the video to check what kind).

All in all, a couple of pleasant dives. The vis is improving & the kelp has thinned nicely.

Vegan Shark, Vis wasn't much better at the Field. I did two more dives today at McAbee beach and the vis was about 10ft at best with patches of blue water where vis was a little better. The first dive we headed straight out until we hit 50fsw then came back. Second dive we went out and towards El Torito and went out to about 30fsw and did a big circle back towards the beach and came up right in front of the hotel. Water temp was 54. Saw some curious seals that followed us for a little while. Seeing a cormorant underwater is cool! It's fun watching them eat and zoom around then dart back up to the surface. :) Fun weekend of diving! Here is a short clip of a seal and cormorant coming up to my dive partner at the breakwall :) [video=youtube;iMT0_Z-K7UM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMT0_Z-K7UM[/video]

Last edited:
Dove Lobos on Sat and Sun. Great two days of diving. Viz was better on Sat, but not bad on Sunday. Saw a 4' Leopard shark on our way back from HITW. People were reporting 20-25' viz, but I think it was more. I could see the kelp folding over on the surface from 40'. Nice large Lingcod also. Temp was 54 according to my computer. Flat surface conditions with moderate surge below. I'll post video when I get home tonight. PICT0319.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=543009355784997&l=8591632120106262078
[video=facebook;543009355784997]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=543009355784997&l=8591632120106262078[/video]

Last edited:
Breakwater today was sunny topside. Lot's of classes taking place. Vis was a hazy 15ft along the wall. The dim lighting must be romantic for many creatures. Nudibanch of many varieties seem to be aggregating along the wall and adjacent sand perhaps to reproduce or lay eggs. Saw a pair of side gill slugs that may have been coupling. Pairs of Rubberlip perch were seen doing a courtship display as well.

Other sights: several octopi, cabezon guarding it's mass of eggs, school of blues, aggregation of big Opaleye just under the canopy, the usual Sea lion party at the end of the jetty with a big bull making some close passes. Noticeable absence of sunflower stars. I think the wasting disease has really taken a toll there. Can see numerous feathery bits scattered all over that I suspect are what remains of the wasted stars.

-Ken Loomis

Mubin and I dove Wedding Rock and had 50-60+ vis. Water was calm and blue. The sun was even poking out a bit. 52 degree water. Second dive was Butterfly House. Water was very calm. Had about 50-60 ft vis and water temp was 54. I've been waiting for this kind of vis. Will post some video soon. Epic Carmel diving. Kelp was standing straight up and not moving.

Here's a video of the surface conditions for Butterfly House.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/10954671233/in/photostream

Last edited:
Jealous! I was very tempted to go today after seeing the forecast, but heading to Catalina next week so tried to contain my ocean withdrawals.

Back
Top Bottom