Mirror, anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jphehe

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone also bring a mirror underwater?

I had this idea of bringing a mirror underwater, mainly for self-inspection, and to help me check who is behind/above me easily.

So I recently tried it and was very happy with the result.

I used the little wide-angle mirror (for cars and bikes) and glued it on my the back of a glove. Firm and tight!

I think it will become my standard tool. :cool2:

would love to hear your setup!

The only time I took a mirror with me FOR UNDERWATER USE (not a small mirror/reflector for surface/safety use) was when I first started diving my drysuit and was having issues with my suit venting very slowly. I took an ugly green mirror down with me and when I ascended I checked to make sure my valve was in fact venting large amounts of air. I likely looked even sillier than I normally do :D....glad there is no photographic proof as well.

Now, I would not consider using a mirror to check on the status of other divers etc.. I want to see them first hand, be able to see what is happening in their eyes etc.. Do they look calm or freaked out. Are they watching me? Do they respond quickly? These things would be tough to determine through a mirror IMO. Besides, I personally dive to enjoy the environment and seeing any aspect of it through a mirror just seems to be shortchanging myself on that enjoyment. Looking behind myself into open water may not be the most exciting view but it is all part of the experience. YMMV

I always carry one. I have the one by MAKO that I really like and another rectangular one in a pouch in my pocket. They are useful for signaling on the surface and if you are solo diving how else do you do a good buddy and bubble check underwater?

They are also great for arousing anger or curiosity in fish and other sea creatures. I lost one to an octopus, who probably still has it.

Check out Jan Kocian's mirror pictures on the Northwest Dive Club website

Back
Top Bottom