Nitekq

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you...I will try that out. But the fact remains that I didn't have to do any workarounds with the Predator or any other computer I have owned (over the last few years)...which begs the question, why shouldn't I expect the same from workbench?

You should be able to find a used Predator easily for that.

Indeed, in the current market I'd expect $700 to more than cover a very nice Predator, with VPM unlocked, some extras (batteries, case, and/or bungiee mount option), plus shipping.

i just got a Q few days ago, and the software on it sucks, i still havent been able to connect it to my computer... also i keep calling dive rite support and they told me that the server was down, and today was told that they rebooted and it should work... And guess what??? it didnt work..

I do like the fact that you can upgrade the features as you need them, so its kinda hard to outgrow the computer, also its very simple to use, and very easy to read =)

I recently picked one up new and have about 15 - 20 dives on it now. Overall I'm quite happy with it.

Positives? The screen is bright and easy to read, and does a good job of displaying what I need without having to squint at it or sort through unwanted information. Easy to set up on land, easy to to use underwater, controls are quite intuitive, the two buttons are easy to find and press. I have no problems with the refresh rate/flicker that some people complain about. The price was reasonable. It's pretty solid too; you could probably run over it with a dump truck and it would keep working.

Negatives? Workbench is awful (though the dive planner and blender are decent). I've worked in IT (15 years as a sysadmin) and I've seen my share of crappy software, and Workbench is right up at the top of the list. The entire arrangement of dotfx.com, heliox.com, and a few other seemingly unrelated domains that play vital roles in the functioning of it all reeks of failed and dying tech venture. If I had to rely on that apparently crumbling infrastructure to deal with firmware upgrades/unlocks I'd start trying to hire someone to recreate the server side of things as soon as possible. Also it does not play nicely with proxies.

In summary, it's a nice piece of hardware at a very reasonable price that does exactly what I need it to, so long as what I need it to do doesn't involve Workbench. After having owned one and knowing what I know now, I'd buy one again.

I posted a review here:
[h=3]My Review of the NiTek Q[/h]
I was very happy with this computer until recently. I pulled the plug out to charge it and found that the computer had flooded. I sent it back to DR, we'll see what happens.

i just got a Q few days ago, and the software on it sucks, i still havent been able to connect it to my computer... also i keep calling dive rite support and they told me that the server was down, and today was told that they rebooted and it should work... And guess what??? it didnt work..

I'm having this exact issue right now. It sounds like what Dive Rite Support told you is exactly what they told me:

This is usually related to a high number of people trying to get into the program and bandwidth issues. I have had the programmers restart their server. It is fully functional it appears. You can also try a different PC. It could be an issue with the internet connection you are using.

I've tried various computers, various internet connections, etc. I'm in graduate school for tech, so I'm far from being a noob when it comes to working with things like this. My issue is with the USB connection. As soon as I plug it in, I get this:

nitekq_error02.jpg

On the dive computer, I get this:

nitekq_usb02.jpg

Anyone have any insight into what's going on? I must say that after all the good things I heard about Dive Rite, this whole experience has been very disappointing.

I've handed my nitek over to my it guru brother to see if he's able to do anything.... I've emailed the developer of dive log and if my brother is able to figure out how the logs are stored on the nitek they might.... Fingers crossed be able to offer some support for the nitek in their software.... I'll keep you all posted if and when something happens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom