Changes in last few years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pa diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We will be heading down to Bonaire in Jan after a hiatus of 3 years. I just wanted to get a feel for what changes we should expect and to see if there are any new things we should not miss, food, sites, etc....... Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

More lights up in the hills at night, more cruise ships, both bad in my opinion. Casablanca shut down. Van den Tweel Supermarket and Gio's gelato are not to be missed. Was Capriccios in the new waterfront location on your last trip? More diving the unmarked sites and the wild side. Lionfish about the same. New construction all over. Where are you staying?

Don't miss dining at "At Sea" - be sure to make reservations. Hotel Roomer also has very good food and a picturesque setting. If Unbelievable is still open stop there for dinner as well. For land activities, check out Outdoor Bonaire. The caves were pretty interesting and Hans is an excellent guide. He also offers a variety of activities.

Ugh, more cruise ships, but we knew they were coming. We rented a house in Belmar but will dive north/south. The supermarket looks interesting, there will be six of us and we all cook so that will be a bonus. Is Will's still open? Thought the food there was fantastic (if you could avoid the hostess). Looking forward to diving wild side and was hoping to do some lionfish hunting. Will also do a little bone fishing and this time around I would like to see a few of the caves............Thanks

Yes, we knew they were coming, but still don't like them. Ven den Tweels also has a warehouse style outlet just around the corner, if you are 6 it may benefit you. Kinda like Costco/Sam's Club/BJ's without the membership. It was probably their storage and wholesale op for the island but it is open to public. Hit the fruit and veggie market along the water.Oh - almost forgot - the 'Mall' on the main street in Kralendjik is open - it has an escalator and an elevator! Yes, Wils and Mona Lisa are both still open (YEAH!) but Casablanca has closed as has Sunset Grill at Den Laman (miss Kurts ceviche). Head to Kite Beach during surface interval on southern sites, grab a soda and lionfish or beef burger from the guy who used to operate Cactus Grill and watch the kite boarders. More folks doing Wild Side by boat and shore. Kill all the lionfish you see! Safe travels.

Great to hear about Mona Lisa's ........... will see what we can do about the lionfish hunting. I have heard you must be accompanied by a guide. I am all in favor of taking a class etc..... but I would like to do that on the first day and hunt at my leisure the rest of my vacation.
Thanks

Also recommend Between 2 Buns at Sand Dollar Mini-Mall if you are in the area and need breakfast or lunch.

There is a festival in town once a month, on a Friday night, as I recall. Taste of Bonaire. Lot's of food booths, handicrafts as well as local music and dancing. Worth going to.

Have been the food festival, it was fun and tried goat prepared many ways............ much thanks for the cruise ship schedule. I know what you mean about it not being Cozumel but it almost seems like death by a thousand cuts. Is the "between two buns" in the location of the deli that was there a few years ago? I really liked the selection at the deli and was hoping it was still there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom