Fish ID needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Member of bass family. The orange on the belly rules out the Harlequin. I would guess a Lantern Bass. Tail being bent makes it hard to be perfectly sure.

Lantern bass. Serranus baldwini

The book Reef Fish Indentification - Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas by Paul Humann & Ned Deloach is an excellent resource.

LANTERN BASS
Serranus baldwini

Size: 1 1/2 - 2 in. Max 2 1/2 in.
Depth: 2 - 240 ft.

Distinctive Features: 1. Obvious row of dark, rectangle blotches on lower side. 2. Band of four black spots on base of tail (not visible in OP's photo).

Decsription: Body marked with rows of dark to orange rectangle blotches and spots over white. Inhabitants of deeper water are suffused with more red to orange or yellow than those from shallow water, which tend to be paler.

But if you ever venture at all northward do not get the lighter travel edition. I have found several species we see in NC that are in the big book but not the smaller.

But if you ever venture at all northward do not get the lighter travel edition. I have found several species we see in NC that are in the big book but not the smaller.

Steve...I bought the three book set and it came with a digital Fish ID. Have you ever tried that? I seem to have had good luck with it. I, however, still prefer the referrence book; I guess I am just old fashion :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom