Scooter or DPV mounting a GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had been using the head mount kit, and sliding it around the scooters body, but was always paranoid about losing the camera, having it slide off. I took the strap helmet mount from the outdoor kit, and ran a gigantic ziptie that I bought at Home Depot through the back, and around the sccoters body, and locked it into place. Now I can take the camera on and off, and when its on the scooter there is no fear of it falling off. Short of drilling into the scooters body (ouch!) this is the best solution to scooter mounting that I have found. I attached a d-clip to the camera, so that I can remove the camera from the scooter and clip it to my D-ring before handing the scooter up on the boat. Handing the scooter up to the boat is usually when the camera can get smashed, so I like to remove it first! I Will be happy to answer any questions, and take any feedback/improvements. Although this is a pretty simple setup,
you would be surprised at how much trial and error it took to get this far. I am very happy with the results, and feel the camera is much more secure. The last thing I wanted to do was start drilling holes in my precious! Pictured here is a Silent Submersion Minnus 1.5, however this should work on most any tube based DPV out there. It may not look factory but it sure beats duct tape! If you do decide to use duct tape instead, at least use black!

IMG_2086.jpgIMG_2084.jpgIMG_2035.jpgIMG_2037.jpg

Nice idea, were you able to get the zip tie tight enough so that it doesn't slip?

Thanks for the compliments. I actually have an update. The giant zip tie was pretty tight, but this is even better. I got a giant stainless steel band clamp, and some webbed tubing, and did away with the zip tie completely. Here is a picture of the final result. Obviously with this sort of setup its imperative to remove the camera when not in use. One problem I kept having was when I would hand my scooter up to the boat, the mates would not take enough care with the camera. I remove it at my safety stop, and clip it to my d-ring until I get up onto the boat. I recommend you do this. I have had several lenses smashed before I finally got it through my head to do this!
IMG_2089.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,187
I went this way. Compact. All delrin and stainless, so it's very durable and corrosion resistant. 360 degree, on the fly adjustable. Weighs in at 7.5 ounces.

GoPro Front Top.jpgGoPro Diver's View2.jpgSeaLife DC800 w Strobe & Video Light - Diver's View.jpgSeaLife DC800 w Strobe & Video Light Front2.jpg

Happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom