Opinions of Whites Fusion One Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeksallovertheplace

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just looking for opinions on the Whites Fusion One drysuit. Anyone out there have one??

I live/dive in Newfoundland Canada and our temps are 8-15C (summer) and 0-2C (winter).

Cheers!

Just looking for opinions on the Whites Fusion One drysuit. Anyone out there have one??

I live/dive in Newfoundland Canada and our temps are 8-15C (summer) and 0-2C (winter).

I seem to be saying this a lot, but . . . "It's a compromise"

This is a bag inside a shell suit. The inner bag is waterproof and a little stretchy, but not very durable. The outer suit is stretchy and durable but not waterproof.

As the inner suit wears, individual leaks can be patched, but eventually, the whole thing will just not be sturdy enough to patch or dive with.

A tri-lam suit will last a lot longer and can be patched/sewed/repaired pretty much indefinitely.

Unfortunately the tri-lam suits are significantly more expensive initially than the bag suits, however if maintained have a lower cost of ownership over the years, so you need to decide which one you want. :cool:

There's nothing wrong with either suit, and you might find that Fusion works well for you for quite a while before you replace it.

The fusion is a nice suit and a lot of my friends have bought them, however with frequent use, they're pretty much shot after maybe 3 years.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. . .

flots.

Hmm, I find the opposite, I was always patching pinholes in my Dui, my whites has taken severe beatings and still keeps me warm and dry. The inside is not stretchy and is basically a bag, it's the outer stretchy s skin that makes it"bulletproof" plus it has the added benefit of making the suit more streamlined for more efficient swimming and scootering. I don't dive in waters les than 60degrees as a rule so check into undergarments suitable to your locale.
Henry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I know people who have been diving their Fusions for several years, and quite a lot, and they've held up well. I own the women's version of the Fusion One (the Essence) and LOVE it. It's stretchy and flexible and I have fantastic mobility in it. The fit is amazing. It's very streamlined, and dives a lot like a wetsuit. The downside (to me) is that it is really difficult (but not impossible) to zip the back zip by yourself. The big upside is the price. Right now you can get the full package (although you'd probably want undergarments thicker than the mk-2 that comes with it) for $999. That's kind of hard to beat!

As the inner suit wears, individual leaks can be patched, but eventually, the whole thing will just not be sturdy enough to patch or dive with.

Have you seen evidence of this or is this just conjecture.

Have you seen evidence of this or is this just conjecture.

We had a bunch in rental. They ended up lasting a couple of years before being sent to the dumpster.

The tri-lam suits have held up much better and can be repaired almost indefinitely.

flots

Interesting. I wonder if others have had the same experience.

I have a Fusion Tech and love it. Many others I know have Bullet and other Tech and have had them for a long while with little to no issues.

We had a bunch in rental. They ended up lasting a couple of years before being sent to the dumpster.

The tri-lam suits have held up much better and can be repaired almost indefinitely.

flots

Interesting. I wonder if others have had the same experience.

The shop I work for has had only Bullets in rental for 4-5 years and not had any issues with them, and that's in NE where there's rocks, etc to climb over, and with students, who are not gentle with them. I'm not arguing that flots experience isn't valid or accurate, just adding an alternate one.

I had my first Fusion for four years, dove it like a madwoman (and in and out of caves, and with my propensity to fall down a lot). I had three leaks total in the suit itself (I never blame suits for seal or valve problems). That's a pretty darned good track record, especially when you consider that one of the leaks I did myself, putting in my p-valve.

I think they are a very good value for money. Don't care for back zip suits, myself, but if you don't mind needing help to get dressed, the price point is sure attractive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom