Budget Phuket? (December 2013)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isnt it a shame. I lived in such a hut at Ao Nang in the 80s....I still love the place, its still got its heart, but the world has moved on. Depending on how recently google earth updated street view of the area (not ao nang) , I can see the huts still there...and that makes me happy. Plus I buried treasure under one of them and id be really annoyed.

So, it looks like we're going to head directly to Khao Lak after landing because the atmosphere there appeals to the fiancee. In December, is it the type of place where we need to have reservations or can we just sort of walk around and check out the hotels.

Still deciding where to go after Khao Lak. Maybe we'll head back down to Phuket to check out some of the diving and other stuff there. Same question, though, is a place and season where we must have reservations?

For both places, unless staying in the basic guesthouses which don't have an online booking facility, for December book in advance. You'll always find a place to stay without booking, but it won't be the best value for money.

If you're looking for somewhere to go after Khao Lak (away from diving) why not visit 'Khao Sok National Park' - it's beautiful there, huge limestone mountains, forests, lakes, caves, trekking, canoeing, animals, lots to see and do and some good lodges too. You can visit the park on a day trip as it's close to Khao Lak but to spend a few nights there is great I think.

If you're looking for somewhere to go after Khao Lak (away from diving) why not visit 'Khao Sok National Park' - it's beautiful there, huge limestone mountains, forests, lakes, caves, trekking, canoeing, animals, lots to see and do and some good lodges too. You can visit the park on a day trip as it's close to Khao Lak but to spend a few nights there is great I think.

And freshwater diving available there also.

Google gave me this: Freshwater diving with the Wetzonedivers, Khao Lak (Thailand) - Diving at Khao Sok Nationalpark

Looks awesome! Have you done it? Any shops you would recommend for the trip?

I went there many years ago on a group trip that was organised by a friend, don't remember the name of the DC he booked with, and it was so long ago I would be reluctant to make recommendations based on that trip. But we all had a really good time and great diving too.

There is also cave / cavern diving available there, here is a link I found Cavern and Cave Diving in Khao Sok National Park | Big Blue Technical Diving News and Events

Also found some clips on you tube Khao Sok National Park Cavern Diving - YouTube

It really is well worth a visit, in my mind much better than a lot of Thailand's salt water diving.

So glad i found this thread! Khao Sok looks awesome as I have lots of interests besides diving. I'll be in Phuket for 5 days the first week in December and want to split my time there between diving and seeing other sites. Any other recommendations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom