The ban hammer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobstah Slayah

Contributor
Reaction score
A few months back I was banned from the Pub and never given a reason. I'm still banned. In September, I started a thread called I love puppies. I started that thread thinking there is no possible way that a thread like that could get me banned. A certain member who is always complaining and reporting things that she finds offensive (Some people go out of their way to be offended.), stopped in and posted something in that thread. I posted a picture of the world's ugliest dog and simply wrote "for her". I wasn't calling her a dog, just offering up an ugly picture for what I felt was ugly behavior. I was banned for a month for "trolling and taunting" I took my ban like a man and didn't complain.

Now, it's been called to my attention that some people thought I was posting that for Quero. I've been told that even Marcia thought that. Why? I'm not sure. She wasn't referenced at all in that thread as far as I remember. While I didn't agree with her moderation style, that post was not aimed at her. I have been told that she was hurt and offended by my post. I just wanted to make clear that the "for her" comment was not aimed Quero.

I haven't been around much lately since my ban was lifted because of incidents like this. Was I taunting a member? Yes, I guess I was. Was it so offensive as to be banned for a month? I don't think so, but it's not my board. I say all of that to say this. A simple PM to me could have cleared up this whole thing. I know that I'm not entitled to any explanations and that the "for her" comment could be considered hurtful, but simple communication could have gone a long way to have avoided hurt feelings (also not posting that picture could have accomplished the same). I think the ban hammer has been used way more often than is necessary.

Sometimes when you get on the radar, they'd rather shoot first and ask questions later. I know when I was being targeted by a few members, (including Quero) that the most innocent posts were misinterpreted and I was getting moderated. They would rather be safe rather than assume you were being noble. Granted, almost always I wasn't being noble. So, I can understand how it could be assumed that my deeds were not above board, especially when you take into the fact that they're reading the written word. They can't hear inflection, remorse, sarcasm or any number of emotions.

Hell, I had three paragraphs completely deleted in a thread where someone asked about Master Diver certification. I was the second post and wrote that I believed the certification was a money grab for PADI, and not worth the money and showed alternative routes for advancing skills, etc. My post was deleted immediately. A day later, there were 5 other posts from other members that said EXACTLY what I said, nearly word for word that to this day have not been deleted. It's not often a fair board. Especially if you have made a target for yourself. Remember that the moderators are only human, and still make mistakes. Add in the fact that some of the moderators were bullied in middle school and high school and this is their very first time with some power and respect and you can see how they might take their role overboard. Their job, as I see it, is to make SB a better place to hangout. Some of them are great in that role. Quite frankly, some of them downright suck at that role.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I'm not sure if you are unfamiliar with the process, or merely voicing your displeasure. If it is the former, in the interest of clarifying how this works, the TOS outline the process whereby a member may appeal a moderation or removal of posting privileges: Membership is a privilege and reserve the right to deny service to any person with or without cause or notification. If a member feels they have been unfairly denied service or has received unfair moderation, an appeal may be sent by e-mail to appeals@scubaboard.com. Each appeal will be reviewed by senior moderators who were not previously involved in the issue that led to the appealed suspension or moderation.

Marg, SB Senior Moderator

So there!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I'm not sure if you are unfamiliar with the process, or merely voicing your displeasure. If it is the former, in the interest of clarifying how this works, the TOS outline the process whereby a member may appeal a moderation or removal of posting privileges: Membership is a privilege and reserve the right to deny service to any person with or without cause or notification. If a member feels they have been unfairly denied service or has received unfair moderation, an appeal may be sent by e-mail to appeals@scubaboard.com. Each appeal will be reviewed by senior moderators who were not previously involved in the issue that led to the appealed suspension or moderation.

Marg, SB Senior Moderator
Thank you for the clarification.

Last edited:
Sometimes when you get on the radar, they'd rather shoot first and ask questions later. I know when I was being targeted by a few members, (including Quero) that the most innocent posts were misinterpreted and I was getting moderated.

While you are entitled to your opinion, I have to disagree with your statement regarding "being targeted."

When someone gets "on the radar" it is usually because they have had a history of pushing the limits and have gotten warned several times in the past. If the behavior continues, so does the moderation. If the moderation doesn't work, it's going to be escalated until the member either learns what acceptable behavior is, or pushes things to the point that their presence is no longer welcome. So if you feel "targeted," odds are you painted that target on yourself.

As far as the OP goes, I wasn't involved in this particular incident, but based on ones I've been involved with in the past, I'm willing to bet my first paragraph is still pretty relevant.

I thought the pub was allowed a bit more leeway....

As a liberal minded poster, I get more than my share of royal flames. If I got "butt-hurt" by every one of those responses, I would be a pretty sorry excuse for a person being allowed access to the Pub, IMHO. That being said, The posting of that photo (I know which one that is) should never have elicited such a visceral response from a Moderator, if that is what happened.

I am a Super moderator of a large international forum of over 50,000 members. Our team would never have reacted unilaterally over something like that...ever. Sorry, but that harkens to a skin that may be a bit too thin to be part of a moderation team. I can only hope all bans go through a lengthy discussion first, no knee jerk reactions allowed.

I have noticed an increased number of bans lately? Letterboy?

I am hoping the mere discussion of bans are not considered provocative........

I thought the pub was allowed a bit more leeway....

As a liberal minded poster, I get more than my share of royal flames. If I got "butt-hurt" by every one of those responses, I would be a pretty sorry excuse for a person being allowed access to the Pub, IMHO. That being said, The posting of that photo (I know which one that is) should never have elicited such a visceral response from a Moderator, if that is what happened.

I am a Super moderator of a large international forum of over 50,000 members. Our team would never have reacted unilaterally over something like that...ever. Sorry, but that harkens to a skin that may be a bit too thin to be part of a moderation team. I can only hope all bans go through a lengthy discussion first, no knee jerk reactions allowed.

I have noticed an increased number of bans lately? Letterboy?

I am hoping the mere discussion of bans are not considered provocative........

There is more leeway allowed in the Pub. However, some people tend to keep pushing to see just how much leeway is allowed. There are several users that have received numerous warnings about acceptable posting and behavior.

As a Super Moderator, I would assume that your team has discussions regarding problems and how to handle them. The same happens here. If anything, the problem is not one of too thin a skin, it's of allowing certain behaviors to be tolerated for too long.

There is an appeals process in place, which MMM outlined and that I know Lobstah Slayah is familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom