The ban hammer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I'm not sure if you are unfamiliar with the process, or merely voicing your displeasure. If it is the former, in the interest of clarifying how this works, the TOS outline the process whereby a member may appeal a moderation or removal of posting privileges: Membership is a privilege and reserve the right to deny service to any person with or without cause or notification. If a member feels they have been unfairly denied service or has received unfair moderation, an appeal may be sent by e-mail to appeals@scubaboard.com. Each appeal will be reviewed by senior moderators who were not previously involved in the issue that led to the appealed suspension or moderation.

Marg, SB Senior Moderator

I shall comment upon your comments.

Only once during my time on SB was I so ticked off by a moderation of a thread (in one particularly unpleasant, implicit conflict of interest type case) that I appealed against the moderation. I send a carefully prepared complaint specifying what I thought was done wrongly and why. I received no response whatsoever. I complained about it and NetDoc assured me it must have been "lost" and I should resubmit my appeal. So I did. And nothing happened again. No response. Certainly no reversal of the decision. I got a private PM from Quero which I interpreted as tacitly supporting me, but nothing more than that.

Not sure if my experience is universal or not. But I won't waste the time and effort to appeal poor moderation again.
Don't pretend you have an appeals process if it files direct to the waste paper bin.

Perhaps you guys should consider adding your unique interpretation of the sanctity of SB email to the ToS and PM system, because in the real world you do not put in writing to anyone something you wouldn't be comfortable seeing reprinted on the front page of your local paper. Certainly it is unreasonable to expect that kind of privacy absent an acknowledged request for confidentiality and/or a close personal relationship between correspondents. In a dramatic understatement, I'll venture to say that neither of those exceptions apply here.
Nah. I expected you had a lack of ethics and wrote my PM accordingly. You didn't disappoint and there is nothing in there I'm ashamed of. There is nothing in the ToS about making the contents of a private exchange public. It only shows that you need to grow a pair of ethics.

Our disagreement is not over what named types of behavior are appropriate, whether on SB or elsewhere, but over the specific applications of the scope of that behavior. For example, an earlier quote said in essence "Any content portraying another person in a sexual manner is bigotry and will not be tolerated."
Shenanigans. Trot out this quote. I triple dog dare you.

Discussing issues with you is like trying to reason with one of my cats. You're intent on being unreasonable and you'll twist any and everything in order to prove that you are right. Yesterday my cat meowed incessantly to be let out... during a massive thunder storm. Like you, she simply failed to comprehend why I kept her inside and her meowing became louder and more emphatic. Sometimes the only response left for such an unreasonable person is a simple meow.

meow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I got a private PM from Quero which I interpreted as tacitly supporting me, but nothing more than that.
You got a "no" twice. That doesn't mean that the system does not work. What it means is that we disagreed with you. Don't take it personally, but Quero was trying to break this to you nicely. You mistook her empathy as a "tacit support".

The Netdoc guide to "Putting the Cool back in my Social Media presence - NOT!!!"

Say meow a lot.

The End

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.......figure it out

images

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I'm not sure if you are unfamiliar with the process, or merely voicing your displeasure. If it is the former, in the interest of clarifying how this works, the TOS outline the process whereby a member may appeal a moderation or removal of posting privileges: Membership is a privilege and reserve the right to deny service to any person with or without cause or notification. If a member feels they have been unfairly denied service or has received unfair moderation, an appeal may be sent by e-mail to appeals@scubaboard.com. Each appeal will be reviewed by senior moderators who were not previously involved in the issue that led to the appealed suspension or moderation.

Marg, SB Senior Moderator
I am familiar with the process and I wasn't really voicing my displeasure. I was trying to explain how a misunderstanding led to the wrong person's feelings being hurt. The highlighted part of your quote speaks for it's self though.

From the very first premise, your argument is false. You were banned from that area for bigotry and taunting the staff. You were told this and yet you showed no remorse.

I wonder when was the last time you posted anything to do with Scuba? 81% of your posts are in the Surface Interval, 15% are in closed cases (removed for one reason or another) and about 4% are in the Scuba related areas. Since almost all of the posts that were removed came from the Surface Interval and the Pub, it seemed best just to remove you. The volunteer staff just doesn't need your drama back there. If you don't like it then toughie kaboombas. You made this bed, now sleep in it.

Wow thank you for looking into my posts so carefully Pete. By my math, 4% of 11,901 is 476 scuba related posts. Also just because most of my posts weren't in the scuba related areas doesn't mean they weren't scuba related. Hundreds and possibly thousands were about lionfish eradication. My bed is very comfortable thank you.

At least on this we agree. To help you through this troubling time, I have chosen an appropriate image to help you feel missed;

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Ok so taunting staff members is not allowed but taunting members is? Got it. Or is it that when you taunt, you consider it funny but when others do it, it's mean bullying?

Bigotry is not allowed anywhere on ScubaBoard. I don't mind racy. I don't mind raunchy. I abhor bigotry. The bigots want to make you think this is about us (or me) being prudes. That's just a red herring for their sexist bigotry.

He's still here. He's just mad that we took him out of the pub and the Surface Interval for posting bigotry. He says he might take his toys and go home because we won't let him post bigotry here on ScubaBoard. I invite all bigots to rethink their presence here. We don't need or want that here on ScubaBoard.

Nah. Discussion and even dissent are fine. We're not perfect but we won't be tolerating meanness or bigotry either.
So when you post pictures of scantily clad women they are "racy and Raunchy", when anyone else does it's bigotry? Got it.

No, it's another instance of you twisting things to fit your view.
I wasn't involved in the matter, which means I wasn't here when the incident occurred or the decisions made. That does not preclude me from going back and researching it on my return. As it turns out, that review indicated that this all stemmed from behavior which I myself have warned you about repeatedly in the past. I've also taken lesser actions against you for similar postings and had you claim you've never been warned prior to that. During the course of those discussions, I've brought up copies of our previous conversations to refresh your memory.

In many of these instances, I've acted as a liaison between you and the moderation team to effect a "playground" for some of you to enjoy without it affecting the experience for other users. In spite of those efforts, you and a few other users continually pushed the boundaries. Everyone acts up from time to time, myself included as you've pointed out in the past. But at some point Enough is Enough. It would seem that cross road has been reached in this instance and the decision is that the contributions aren't worth the disruptions.
I did tone it way down which you'd see if you were looking at it with an unbiased eye. When you went back and looked over that thread, did you have any feeling whatsoever that my post was directed at Marcia? If so, please share those finding with me.

Oh yes those two are fine upstanding members of society. Calling others evil. Pot meet kettle.

You got a "no" twice. That doesn't mean that the system does not work. What it means is that we disagreed with you. Don't take it personally, but Quero was trying to break this to you nicely. You mistook her empathy as a "tacit support".

I don't recall getting a "no" at all. I don't recall receiving any response by email or by PM. Ever. But if like me you keep your e-mail you can always resend it to me.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 07:47 AM ----------

...and just for the record, what Marcia said to me in a PM was "you're not wrong about that. But if you feel strongly about it you should make a formal appeal."

Wow thank you for looking into my posts so carefully Pete.
It was pretty easy. It's one of the tabs under your profile. Pretty telling though. It's a shame that you had 1,800 posts that had been deleted. That's four times the number of posts you have in Scuba related threads. You might think that the volunteer mods have nothing better to do with their time but to chase after you, but it gets tiresome. In fact, I think we've been pretty patient with you thus far. You're a nice guy in person, but your online persona likes to create needless drama and work for the mods.

Reading through this thread reminds me of why I don't come here anymore, and why a lot of people I used to know on here stopped posting on a regular or semi regular basis...

The clique that seems to run the joint has their agenda, and that's it! The "fun" forums are no longer fun, and the same suck ups (who probably don't even dive anymore) ruin the diving forums.

This site got way to big for it's own britches....

(back into extreme lurk mode)

It was pretty easy. It's one of the tabs under your profile. Pretty telling though. It's a shame that you had 1,800 posts that had been deleted. That's four times the number of posts you have in Scuba related threads. You might think that the volunteer mods have nothing better to do with their time but to chase after you, but it gets tiresome. In fact, I think we've been pretty patient with you thus far. You're a nice guy in person, but your online persona likes to create needless drama and work for the mods.

So this is the only part of my post that you choose to respond to? What about your taunting? What about your statement of racy and raunchy being ok but bigotry isn't? It's all in the interpretation Pete. As this is your board, it gets to be your interpretation. I have no problem with that.

I agree it's a shame that all of those posts were deleted. IIRC a whole thread was blown up regardless if the content was harmless or not. So I don't think anyone one was "chasing me around". You guys just deleted the whole thing. You can choose to blame me for all of that if you wish. Is it wrong that the majority of my posts were in places other than scuba related threads? That's what you seem to be implying.
As far as my being nice in person, how would you know? We've never met. Thank you for the kind words though. I don't go around creating drama IRL and I don't create unnecessary drama here. Do I sometimes post things I shouldn't? Sure. I don't do it for the sake of drama though. The intent is humor or trying to make a point. My original post was to clarify a misconception. It has evolved into something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom