Master Diver or Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can tell you that the NAUI Master Scuba diver training is not based on specialties. I cannot speak about PADI. The course involves course work of about 275 pages with 20 hours of academic work and a minimum of 8 open water dives. From what i gathered in it basically it is more adanced diving without the requirement of getting liablity insurance. Some of the topics covered are
1- Diving equipment- in depth
2- The Diving envoirment
3- Diving Physics
4- Diving Physiology
5- Decompression and Recompression
6- Rescue and Emergency procedures
7- Naviagation for Divers
8-Limited Visiblity and Night Diving
9- Search and Light Salvage
10- Diving Techniques and Deeper Diving
11- Techinical Diving
12- Boating, Diving and Seamanship

Pre-Reqs are
Be 15years old
Have Advanced Scuba Diver

There are threads discussing the pros and cons of PADI vs. NAUI MSD programs.

I am from the SSI world and am not following many of the comments. It appears the SSI Dive Guide/Dive Master/Dive Con program works differently, or maybe it is simply taught differently at our shop.

After Science of Diving, a fairly rigorous academic course, we started our Dive Guide training. Four of us were allowed (not everyone who wants to take it shows that they are ready) to start the training. Teaching was a small part of the content. Rather, we focused on organizing, managing and working with groups, leading dives, more intense stress and rescue work, improving skills, and ended up working with many classes such as Deep Diving, Stress & Rescue, Search and Recovery, Limited and Night Diving, etc. We did monitor OW Classroom, Pool and open water dives, which I guess goes back to the teaching. This internship lasted about 5 months, between the many classes and water sessions. I feel my diving considerably improved, I more than anything improved my situational awareness for any diving.

In SSI, after completion of Science of Diving, First Aid/O2 and Dive Guide, we automatically get our DM card.

Two of us were invited to continue the Dive Con (Asst. Instructor) training, and this is where we are spending time in the pool and classroom, learning to teach. Working with Instructors, presenting portions of the classes, learning to conduct Try Scuba and SCUBA Skills Update Classes are more the order of the day. Diving skills are definitely not going to be improved in this certification, but that is not the purpose.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation, but it would appear that the SSI and PADI paths diverge considerably, but I have a feeling they converge back at the Asst. Instructor level.

Terry

I am SEI DiveMaster and currently working on my Master Diver Certification. I am super fimiliar with the PADI system, as all my training has been SEI, however, going out and just diving is the best way to work on your diving skills. I think my divemaster Training helped some, because it made me to be aware of my own mistakes that I would make as a diver.

there are times I wish I could hand in my Dive Master training when I go away on vacation. I find myself constantly watching other punters on the boat and under water and making sure the group is comfortable, even though as another guest there's little I can (or should) do if things go bad.

I would suggest only doing a DM course if you're interested in assisting or dive leading. If you're interested in the science of diving, buy a book and read it, if you're interested in being the best diver you can be, dive with experienced divers and listen to them. Another option might be to do some of the TDI courses like intro to tech and deco procedures... they do teach you a lot about general diving principles you can apply to recreational diving.

With teaching a lot of courses including the Divemaster personally I believe that the Divemaster is a better course. With the Divemaster you not only learn to be a better diver because you have to be to demonstrate to students. You learn a lot more of the theory of diving. Also you are starting to get your skills on the way to instructor level so of course you have to be a better diver.
Like I said I have taught Master Scuba Divers and Divemaster and 90% of the time the Divemasters are better divers as they learn more and see a lot more.
If you are choosing to do you course in South East Asia feel free to contact me and I can help you on your decision/
DL44585@googlemail.com

Which master diver? PADI master diver is a collection of specialty while NAUI Master
diver is a course that gives you instructor level knowledge less leadership skills.

if you are going to SEA,
contact Poh Chew Chang from Singapore. He can and will help you develop awesome diving skills. PM me for his contacts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom