Snakebite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey BobbyT22, neonistic had the right idea with gators, company called Midwest Tongs sells them Snake Proof Gaiters. I work at a vet clinic and we use their snake gloves for handling cats. They have small ceramic plates.

Pretty sure a snake would bite right through a drysuit, can't speak from experience on that. I would not want to test that one.

Thanks for the response. This thread is old, but it was fun reading through some responses I missed. The funny part is my original question was really about how tough the drysuit is, rather than being afraid of the snakes. Since the original post they have put in a boat ramp on the lake, so now I just walk down the ramp and into the water, no issues at all, and no snakes. Still nothing to see, but a good place to blow some bubbles.

To funny, looked at the month not the year. Not a lot to see here most of the time either, boring dive is better than no dive at all.

Black Mambas will chase your ass under certain circumstances. Corner one and it will attack with great skill and ferocity. Its bite is almost always fatal.

I admire them for defending themselves and their homes. In fact, I admire snakes in general, and have a couple of them living with me, Jamaican Boas, part of an endangered species breeding program sponsored by the AZA.

There are a small number of snakes in my back yard, their ancestors released there by me years ago. My neighbor's expression when he spots one sunning itself on a paved driveway is wonderful to behold. Harmless little things, of course. Insect eaters. Most snakes are harmless.

I've spent decades in snake infested areas, actively interacting with both venomous and non-venomous species. I've never been bitten. Never been bitten by a dog either. It's amusing to see big strong guys become hysterical little girls when confronted by a serpent. Snakes aren't cowards. They have the good sense to get out of the way of the most destructive beast on this planet. Coming across a big Timber Rattler in the deep forest is a real pleasure. Coming upon some human strangers, especially if they are armed, is quite another story.

Someone mentioned there being no rattlesnakes in Africa. True, but almost all snakes will vibrate their tails at high speed on dry leaves when threatened, producing a buzzing sound. Rattlers are an example of evolutionary development, developing over millions of years a system that allows them to carry a more effective noise maker with them, one based on the basic dry leaf sound.

Snakes are one of the wonders of the natural world. Leave them alone. Anyone who intentionally runs one over with his car deserves the same fate.

OP,

I to don't know if the drysuit will be impervious to a snakes fangs. However, my drysuit has gators built into the legs for over inflation. I would not worry about getting bit through the gator, the drysuit and then my under garments at the same time. If your suit does not have gators already, and I was worried about getting snake bit, then I would use the gators from Midwest Tongs. In fact, I have a pair that I do wear myself when I'm out hunting. Just in case I miss a snake while I am out in the wild. Which happened once in fact. As I came up on top of a pile of old mine tailings, I scanned the trail several times with my eyes. I did not see any snake threat. So I took two steps. As one of my feet was coming down for the third step, I glanced back down to the ground. TOO LATE!!! My right foot came down on the back of a small rattlesnake stretched out one the trail. I couldn't jump back in time. The rattlesnake coiled around and bit the tip of my boot. Fortunately the tip of my boot was tough leather and the snake's fangs did not penetrate. I got the hell back and away from that snake as fast and safely as I could. So just because you think things are safe, it doesn't hurt to be prepared as much as possible. B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom