Lost a finger with a bang stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure-Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My son told me he and his friends bought some bullets and were trying to use this bang stick on their dive. It didn't work. So after the dive they all stood around it wondering what was wrong when, with the safety pin out, my son reached up and just slightly tapped the bullet. That was all it needed. Not only did it blow his finger off but it sent scrapnel into the faces of the guys standing around and non of them could hear well quite a while.

This accident did not happen underwater but I thought to anyone out there using a stick, you may just keep this in mind. Unlike a gun in which you pull the trigger, bang sticks can go off with a bump. Of course they have a safety and used correctly can be very helpful.

I realize this story makes my son look pretty stupid. I'm sure he thought so himself, many times. He was in his late 20's then and is a dive instructor and a DSO now. I think what this really shows is a lack of respect. All the young men learned a bit of respect that day. When we are using things capable of killing us, we need to show caution and respect. Of course I never had to say anything to my son. It was a self created lesson.

Adventure-Ocean

We call that a "misfire" and it can happen on any Firearm (including a bang stick).

There are special procedures to follow in case of a misfire (none of which were adopted here).

I am currently putting my first two kids through all the required courses for the safe use of a Firearm so that at least they know what to do if they find one or one of their friends brings one around.

Sorry to hear about your son, but glad it was not something more serious for him and his friends.

Ouch! Bet he won'tdo that again! Sounds like the older timers checking that their muzzle loaders are clear, put a cap on the nipple, cock the hammer and pull the trigger with a thumb over the muzzle to feel the pressure from the cap igniting. Once there was a full load in the gun and blew the guys thumb off. I point my muzzle loader down range and snap the cap with a patch over the muzzle. I still have my thumbs! Hope the kid is feeling better.

Ouch! Bet he won'tdo that again! Sounds like the older timers checking that their muzzle loaders are clear, put a cap on the nipple, cock the hammer and pull the trigger with a thumb over the muzzle to feel the pressure from the cap igniting. Once there was a full load in the gun and blew the guys thumb off. I point my muzzle loader down range and snap the cap with a patch over the muzzle. I still have my thumbs! Hope the kid is feeling better.

how about an indexed rod? :confused: A simple piece of tape on it at "empty", and all is well....

Glad he's ok though (sucks he lost a finger). Like giana said, firearm safety is pretty important stuff. I don't advise using a lighter to see inside the fuel tank in your car either.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's a "bang stick" ? I never heard of this. I googled it and it seems like a gun without a handle?? What could you possibly use this for in recreational diving? The websites promote it as "shark protection" or "when harvesting gators".

- Bill

From the Wikipedia article:

A powerhead, bang stick, smokie or shark stick is a specialized firearm used underwater that is fired when in direct contact with the target. Powerheads are often used for spear fishing and against sharks or alligators for sport, defense, or to kill nuisance animals. The term powerhead refers to the firearm-like part of the device; when attached to a shaft to form a spear, it may be referred to as a bang stick or shark stick. The spear in question may be handheld or launchable from a spear gun.[1][2][3]

In a nutshell, let's say for sake of argument you were very concerned about the possibility of shark attack, and wanted a personal weapon that could in theory perhaps take out even a big one. On land, we're used to shooting things to kill them. In water, that's harder to do.

A bang stick gives you a personal weapon that lets you 'poke and shoot.'

Richard.

I still have a scar on my right index knuckle from being very stupid and got very lucky with a .22 rimfire rifle about 40 years ago.
I was properly trained, knew the risks, and hurt myself.
I have no excuse to offer.

Chug
Learned his lesson.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom